This incredible slow cooker bolognese is the perfect dinner with a delicious combination of a rich tomato sauce, ground beef and of course some lovely mushrooms.
While the most common combination for bolognese is with pasta, there are many other ways you can use the sauce. Just to name a few examples, you can use it in nachos, pizza, garlic bread and so much more. It’s certainly one of those great slow cooker ground beef recipes that you can use in a wide variety of tasty dishes.
If you have a combination that you would love to share, then feel free to leave a comment at the bottom of this page.
If you have decided to cook up some pasta to go with this dish then just follow the instructions on the packet for cooking the pasta correctly. I don’t recommend adding the pasta straight into the slow cooker as it tends to stick together and make the sauce incredibly thick and gluggy.
The leftovers for this dish are certainly worth keeping so make sure you don’t throw any of them out. They’re perfect for lunch the next day as you can quickly just reheat it in the microwave or over the stove. If you didn’t mix any pasta in with the sauce, then you can use the sauce in a different dish as I mentioned above.
If you want to go one step further, then you should certainly give the lasagne in a slow cooker a try. It’s a fair bit more work then this dish but is so good and quite amazing on how well it works out.
If you love to see things visually, then be sure to check out the short video below. I take you through all the steps to making this delicious bolognese recipe in the slow cooker. If you do prefer videos, then be sure to subscribe to me on YouTube.
Slow Cooker Bolognese Recipe
6 Hours & 15 Minutes
6 Hours & 30 Minutes
- 500g (1 lb.) ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 250g (9 oz.) mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tsp. garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. worcestershire Sauce
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp. basil, dried
- 1 tsp. oregano, dried
- 800g (24 oz.) can diced tomatoes
- ¼ cup red wine
- Salt & Pepper
- Firstly, fry off the ground beef in a frypan over high heat. Once browned, drain and transfer to the slow cooker.
- In the slow cooker, add all the ingredients and mix to ensure that it is all combined.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- Season with salt & pepper.
- Serve & Enjoy
- As with any good pasta some parmesan and fresh herbs make for the best garnish.
- The sugar is optional but helps reduce the acidity of the tomatoes.
- I used dried herbs in this dish but they can easily be replaced with fresh herbs instead. You shouldn’t need to adjust any of the amounts to make up for this change.
- You can use either red or white wine without making a significant impact on the overall dish. Personally, I try to stick to red wine but sometimes there just isn’t any around to use for cooking. You can leave the wine out altogether but you will miss out on that extra flavor it brings to the dish.
- If you love your bolognese extra saucy then feel free to add another can of diced tomatoes. Be careful not to go overboard as you don’t want too much tomato and not enough beef.
Curious about how much this slow cooker bolognese will impact your diet, then be sure to check out the nutritional information below. Keep in mind I have only estimated this data using an online tool so it may not be entirely accurate.
This information doesn’t include any extras that you cook up to have with this dish. For example, any pasta that you have with this dish will need to add to the values below.
There are so many different types of pasta sauces that you’re able to cook in the slow cooker. If you’re looking for a creamier sauce, then you should check out the delicious beef stroganoff. It has amazing tender pieces of beef in a rich, creamy sauce. It’s certainly a pasta worth trying out.
If you have any variations, tips, or anything else to do with this slow cooker bolognese then be sure to leave a comment below.
I use a 5.5L/6 Quart slow cooker for all the recipes that I have on this website unless specified. If you have a smaller or larger slow cooker then you might need to adjust the ingredients.
Get all our super delicious slow cooker recipes in our quality slow cooker cookbook.