Back to Recipe Print Recipe
Slow Cooker Bolognese Recipe
- Prep time: 15 Minutes
- Cook time: 6 Hours & 15 Minutes
- Total time: 6 Hours & 30 Minutes
- Serves: 8
- 500 g (1.1 lb) ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 250 g (8.8 oz) mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tsp garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp basil, dried
- 1 tsp oregano, dried
- 800 g (1.8 lb) diced tomatoes
- ¼ cup red wine
- Firstly, fry the ground beef in a frypan over high heat. Once browned, drain and transfer to the slow cooker.
- In the slow cooker, add all the ingredients and mix to ensure that it is all combined.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve & Enjoy.
- As with any good pasta, some parmesan and fresh herbs make for the best garnish.
- The sugar is optional but helps reduce the acidity of the tomatoes.
- I used dried herbs in this dish, but they can easily be replaced with fresh herbs. You should not need to adjust any of the quantities to make up for this change.
- You can use either red or white wine without making a significant impact on the overall dish. Personally, I try to stick to red wine, but sometimes there isn't any around to use for cooking. You can leave the wine out altogether, but you will miss out on that extra flavor it brings to the dish.
- If you love your bolognese extra saucy, then feel free to add another can of diced tomatoes. Be careful not to go overboard as you do not want too much tomato and not enough beef.
- Cook the sauce on high for four hours if you need it faster.
Did you make this recipe?
We want to see! Tag @slowcookingperfected
on Instagram or use the hashtag #slowcookingperfected
so we can find you!