This slow cooker lasagna is perfect for anyone who wants to make a mouth-wateringly good lasagna ahead of time so that you can have it ready for when you get home. It’s pretty easy to make but does require a bit of time to prepare when compared to most other slow cooker recipes.
This dish is great if you need to cook for a crowd, this recipe should feed about six people. As with any lasagna, this also goes great alongside some garlic bread. If you have leftovers, then simply wrap it up and either freeze or keep it in the fridge. It tastes pretty good even reheated!
For this recipe, I make a cheese sauce that can be difficult to get right. If you prefer an easier cheesy layer, then I recommend making a mix of two cups shredded cheese, one cup ricotta or cottage cheese and finally one cup of grated parmesan. Use this cheese mix in place of the cheese sauce.
If you want to see a video that takes you through everything you need to know and do for this recipe, then please check the video below.
Slow Cooker Lasagna Recipe
6 Hours & 20 Minutes
6 Hours & 30 Minutes
- 2 Tbsp. oil
- 500g (17.5 oz.) ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tsp. garlic, crushed
- 4 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 2x 525g (18.5 oz.) tin of crushed tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. oregano
- 2 tsp. basil
- 500g (17.5 oz.) lasagna sheets (Oven Ready)
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. plain flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 Tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 cup grated cheese
- ¼ cup parmesan
- Salt & pepper
- In a frying pan over medium heat add the vegetable oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add the onion & garlic. Cook until the onion is translucent.
- Add the beef mince and cook until browned.
- Add the tomato paste, crushed tomatoes, basil, sugar, and oregano.
- Place to the side.
- Now for the cheese sauce, first melt the butter in a microwaveable bowl. 15 Seconds in the microwave should be more than long enough.
- Add the flour and whisk together. Cook for a further 30 seconds.
- Slowly whisk in the milk trying to avoid any lumps.
- Cook for 1 & 1/2 minutes. Continue to whisk then cook in the microwave for 30-second intervals until the milk has thickened.
- Whisk in the cheese and mustard. Season with salt & pepper, place to the side.
Putting it Altogether:
- In the slow cooker start with a little bit of the bolognese sauce.
- Add one layer of lasagna sheets then top this with the bolognese sauce until it covers the sheets. Spoon the cheese sauce on top of the bolognese sauce it should roughly cover it.
- Repeat until you run out of sauce or lasagna sheets. Make sure you finish off with a cheese layer on top.
- Cook on low for roughly 6 hours.
- Serve & Enjoy
- It might be tempting but putting the slow cooker on high may result in a burnt lasagna. I recommend keeping it on low for the entire cooking time.
- To avoid scratching your slow cooker use plastic utensils to cut and remove pieces of the lasagna. I find a flat spatula is very good at doing this.
- If you’re feeling like more vegetables, then I recommend adding some red bell peppers, mushrooms and even spinach to the bolognese sauce.
- In this particular recipe I use dried herbs, but fresh always tastes better so if you can I recommend using fresh.
You can find the nutritional information for this tasty slow cooker lasagna below! It is just an estimate but should help out anyone looking to keep an eye on what they’re eating. Of course, if you make any variations to the dish, then this information might become wrong.
If you just want a lasagna super fast, then something like an easy, lazy lasagna that you do in the oven would be a better choice. This recipe is great if you want to get dinner prepared hours ahead of time but not great if you need it fast.
I hope you enjoy this slow cooker lasagna recipe. If you want to let me know what you think of it, then be sure to leave a comment below.
Note: I use a 5.5L (6 Quart) slow cooker for all the recipes that I have on this website unless specified. If you have a smaller or larger slow cooker, then you might need to adjust the ingredients.