This sweet n sticky slow cooker Hawaiian chicken is a delicious dish that goes great on a bed of rice.
If you love sweet dishes, then this is for you. It has a fantastic sauce that combines pineapple juice, soy, ketchup, brown sugar, and honey. This combination gives you a lovely rich sauce that will have you going back for seconds. To finish it all off, we include some chunky vegetables with of course the chicken.
This dish is leftover friendly so you can keep any leftovers in either the fridge or freezer. If you’re just storing it in the fridge, then it will last a couple of days. When you go to reheat the dish, I recommend using the microwave or a hot oven.
There are so many sides that you’re able to serve with this chicken. I usually just use rice as it’s easy to quickly cook up as I can just do it in a rice cooker. Other sides you could have with this recipe include dishes such as fried greens, cauliflower rice, zucchini noodles and so much more.
One thing to be aware of with slow cooker chicken recipes is that the chicken does tend to be on the dry side of things by the end of cooking. If you love moist, succulent chicken, then you may be disappointed cooking chicken in a slow cooker. With that said, I haven’t had many issues with “dry” chicken, especially if I’m using thigh chicken meat.
If you love to see things done visually, then be sure to check out the video below. It will take you through all the steps to making this delicious slow cooker recipe.
Slow Cooker Hawaiian Chicken Recipe
6 Hours & 15 Minutes
- 1 kg (2 lb.) chicken thigh
- 1 onion, cut into chunks
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 tsp. garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp. ginger, crushed
- 500g (17 oz.) can pineapple chunks (not drained)
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. ketchup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp. water
- Place all the ingredients into the slow cooker except the cornstarch and water.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- 15 minutes before you go to serve, mix the cornstarch with the water.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker. Pour the cornstarch paste into the slow cooker and mix in.
- Return the chicken to the slow cooker.
- Allow to cook for 15 minutes or until nice and thick.
- Serve & Enjoy
- Skim the oil off the top of the sauce if there is an excess amount towards the end of cooking. It’s best to do this before you mix in the cornstarch to thicken the sauce.
- Tomato paste or sauce can be used instead of the ketchup. This alternative is the perfect replacement if you’re not a fan of store-bought ketchup.
- You can add more vegetables to this recipe or on the flip side remove the ones in it, so you’re left with just chicken and pineapple.
- You can swap the chicken thigh for any cut of chicken such as chicken breast, drumsticks and so on. For the best results, I recommend using chicken thigh.
- There are plenty more cooking tips for the slow cooker that might help improve your next meal. It’s amazing what a few tweaks can do to the result of a dish.
The nutritional information for this slow cooker Hawaiian chicken is right below, keep in mind that the information was calculated with an online tool so it may not be entirely accurate.
If you love sweet chicken dishes like this one, then I highly recommend checking out the sweet and sour chicken. It too goes perfectly with some rice and is easy to make.
I hope that you and your family/friends enjoy this slow cooker Hawaiian chicken as much as I did. I am always open to feedback, tips, and variations so if you have any be sure to leave a comment right below.
I use a 5.5L/6 Quart slow cooker for all the recipes that I have on this website unless specified. If you have a smaller or larger slow cooker then you might need to adjust the ingredients.
Get all our super delicious slow cooker recipes in our quality slow cooker cookbook.