This incredible slow cooker orange chicken is super easy and will certainly please anyone who is a fan of the classic version of this dish.
You can serve this dish up on several different sides, but my personal favorite is rice. Any type of noodle (I love soba noodles) will also work pretty well, but it just depends on what you’re feeling like eating. You might also want to have this dish with some vegetables, but again this just comes down to what you want to eat for dinner.
If you prefer a crispy orange chicken dish, then you’re best to prepare and cook this out of the slow cooker. By the time you have finished coating and frying the chicken, you might as well whip up the sauce that usually takes just a few minutes. Once you do this, you can just pour the sauce over the cooked crispy coated chicken and serve.
Fruit chicken is always delicious, and if you’re looking for another dish that has a ton of flavor, then you should check out the Hawaiian chicken. It’s got delicious chunks of pineapple, a sweet sauce and so much more.
Make sure you keep the leftovers as they are great for lunch the next day. Just cover the food and store in the fridge until needed. You may also freeze this dish but keep in mind once you reheat the food the chicken may be overcooked and dry.
The video below will take you through all the steps to making this delicious slow cooker dish. It’s super easy to follow, and you get to see how it should look through all the different stages.
Slow Cooker Orange Chicken Recipe
6 Hours & 10 Minutes
- 500g (17 ½ oz) chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 tsp. garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp. ginger, minced
- ½ cup sweet orange marmalade
- ½ cup BBQ Sauce
- 2 Tbsp. Teriyaki sauce
To thicken (Optional)
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp. water
- In a slow cooker, mix together the garlic, ginger, sweet orange marmalade, BBQ sauce and the teriyaki sauce. Mix until well combined.
- Mix in the cubed chicken breasts.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Roughly 15 minutes before you go to serve, mix together the cornstarch and water until it forms a paste.
- Mix the cornstarch paste into the slow cooker, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Serve & Enjoy
- If you’re looking to bulk this recipe out with vegetables then some sliced carrot, bell peppers or even chunks of onion are a great addition.
- You can add some red chili flakes for a bit of extra spice.
- Chicken can overcook if left in the slow cooker for too long. This overcooking results in a dry, rubbery chicken that isn’t very enjoyable. If this happens, try shredding the chicken, so it mixes with the sauce even more.
- Changing the BBQ sauce will result in some very different flavors. If you’re feeling experimental, try using a smoky version or one with added honey.
- This dish is already on the sweet side so keep this in mind when you go to make it.
- You can also use chicken thigh for this recipe if you don’t have any chicken breasts around. You can even use other cuts of chicken such as drumsticks.
If you need to know the nutritional information for this delicious slow cooker orange chicken dish, then you can find it right below.
This information is an estimate but should be good enough to be able to determine if this is ok to eat. Keep in mind adding any extras such as rice will increase the number of calories.
There are plenty of other dishes that you’re able to make that are like this dish. One of my all-time favorites is the sweet and sour chicken! Much like this dish it is on the sweet side and goes amazingly well with some freshly cooked rice.
I hope that this delicious slow cooker orange chicken comes out to be as great as it did for me. If you have any tips, variations or anything else that you would like to share then feel free to leave a comment below.
I use a 5.5L/6 Quart slow cooker for all the recipes that I have on this website unless specified. If you have a smaller or larger slow cooker then you might need to adjust the ingredients.
Get all our super delicious slow cooker recipes in our quality slow cooker cookbook!