I absolutely love this slow cooker General Tso’s chicken recipe as it’s super easy to prepare and tastes absolutely amazing.
You can make these chicken drumsticks as a meal, but they’re also great as a side dish. I also love making this dish as some party food for whenever I have people over, they always go down a treat.
There are many great slow cooker chicken recipes, but this one certainly ranks high. The delicious sauce and the tender chicken make this dish irresistible.
Marinaded chicken by itself isn’t usually enough to feed a crowd, so I highly recommend cooking up some side dishes. Something like cauliflower rice, regular rice, or even baby potatoes will go great with this chicken dish.
One of the best things about this chicken dish is that it is excellent the next day as leftovers. Simply shred any leftovers, and you can use it in sandwiches, pizza, pasta (like chicken ala king) and so much more. Just keep in mind the marinade will add flavor which may or may not conflict with what you’re using the chicken in.
Videos are great for seeing how to make a recipe and for visual confirmation that the pictured dish is achievable. You can find the full video for this recipe right below.
Slow Cooker General Tso's Chicken Recipe
6 Hours & 15 Minutes
6 Hours & 30 Minutes
- 2kg (4.4 lb) Chicken drumsticks
- 1 Tbsp. garlic, crushed
- 1 Tbsp. ginger, minced
- ¼ cup Chinese rice wine vinegar
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp. Hoisin sauce
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup Shaoxing wine
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 3 Tbps. water
- Mix the garlic, ginger, Chinese rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, brown sugar and Shaoxing wine in a jug.
- Add the chicken drumsticks to the slow cooker and pour the marinade over the top.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch with the water until it forms a paste.
- Slowly mix in the cornstarch mixture with the marinade.
- Return the chicken to the slow cooker and cook on high for 15 minutes or until thickened.
- Optional: Baste the chicken with the sauce and place under a grill to caramelize.
- Serve & Enjoy
- Placing the chicken under a grill is a great way to get nice crispy skin. It’s also perfect if you want to caramelize the sauce slightly.
- Cornstarch is highly important as it will thicken the General Tso's sauce. You can use a different thickener such as arrowroot but whatever you do, make sure you thicken the sauce.
- You can use any type of chicken for this dish. For example, chicken breast or thigh will work great. I recommend keeping the chicken cuts whole and not cutting them into little bits.
- I recommend cooking this recipe for 6 hours, but if you're running late, it should be fine for little longer. There will be a point where the chicken will just fall off the bones. This will make it hard to get the chicken out in one piece.
All the nutritional information for slow cooker General Tso's chicken is right below. It’s perfect if you want to keep an eye on what you eat.
I use an online calculator to work out the nutritional information so it may not be super accurate. Also, don’t forget to add any extras that you might have with the dish such as rice.
There are plenty of other recipes that you should try, especially recipes that use chicken. If you want to try a dish like this one, then you should check out the honey soy chicken. It’s absolutely delicious.
If you feel like eating something other than chicken, then there are plenty of beef dishes that you can make. Something like the beef brisket is worth giving a try. The rub on the beef is tasty and has a slight hint of heat to it.
I really hope that you enjoy this slow cooker General Tso’s chicken dish as much as I did. If you have any thoughts tips or anything else, then please don’t hesitate to leave a comment below.
Note: I use a 5.5L (6 Quart) slow cooker for all the recipes that I have on this website unless specified. If you have a smaller or larger slow cooker, then you might need to adjust the ingredients.