This slow cooker honey soy chicken has a deliciously rich marinade. It’s a super easy dish that tastes absolutely amazing.
The combination of honey and soy is a favorite in our household. It’s the perfect blend of sweet and salty.
A ton of different side dishes works perfectly with this slow cooker chicken dish. For example, I love to have this chicken with some freshly cooked rice.
As well as some rice there is a ton of vegetables that you can cook to go with this chicken. My favorite is some green vegetables such as green beans, spinach or even some peas. You could also try cooking some herby baby potatoes in the slow cooker.
The leftovers of the chicken are perfect to keep for a few days in the refrigerator. You can make use of the chicken in other dishes, for example, you can shred the leftover chicken and then use it in a sandwich or on a homemade pizza.
The video below will take you through all the steps to making this honey soy chicken, if you like the video then be sure to subscribe to our YouTube. It’s just one of the fantastic recipes for the slow cooker that is super easy and delicious.
Slow Cooker Honey Soy Chicken Recipe
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ½ cup honey
- 1 Tbsp. garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp ginger, minced
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1.5kg (3.3 lb) chicken drumsticks
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp water
- Mix the soy sauce, honey, garlic, ginger and sesame oil in the slow cooker.
- Add chicken drumsticks to the slow cooker, baste them, so they are well coated.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch with the water until it forms a paste.
- Add the cornstarch mixture to the slow cooker and mix.
- Add the chicken back in and cook on high for 15 minutes or until thickened.
- Optional: Baste chicken with the sauce and place it under a grill for a few minutes to caramelize.
- Serve & Enjoy
- I recommended grilling the chicken as it will help the marinade caramelize. It’s still amazing straight out of the slow cooker.
- You use any cut of chicken for this recipe. I made use of chicken drumsticks. However, you can use chicken thigh, breast, wings or basically any cut of chicken you want.
- A thickener such as cornstarch is perfect if you want a nice thick marinade. However, you can use something like arrowroot instead. The sauce is still pretty good without any thickener.
- Soy sauce brands can vary heavily in flavor and saltiness. If you're unsure about the soy you're using, then don't hesitate to tinker the amount of honey and soy you use.
The nutritional information for this slow cooker honey soy chicken is right below. It’s just an estimate as I made use of an online tool to calculate the information.
Don’t forget to add any extras such as rice or mashed potato.
I absolutely love this slow cooker honey soy chicken recipe, and I hope that you agree. If you have some thoughts, tips or anything else that you will like to share, then please don’t hesitate to leave a comment below.
Note: I use a 5.5L (6 Quart) slow cooker for all the recipes that I have on this website unless specified. If you have a smaller or larger slow cooker, then you might need to adjust the ingredients.