This tasty slow cooker honey balsamic chicken is a great dinner dish that you can get prepared before you get started with your day. The end result is some tender chicken in a sauce that is sweet and has the flavors of both honey and balsamic vinegar.
The sugars in this dish are hugely important as they help take away a lot of the bitterness from the balsamic vinegar. The result should be a nice balanced sauce that isn’t bitter but also not too sweet. It should have the taste of balsamic vinegar with a slight hint of honey. The herbs help add even more flavor but can be left out or swapped with some different types of herbs.
As I mention in the cooking tips below, you’re able to cook some vegetables such as carrots and potatoes in the slow cooker with the chicken. This method will mean your vegetables will darken to the color of the sauce and take on a lot of the flavor. This change might be fine for you, but for some, it makes the vegetables less appetizing. You might find it is better to cook them separately for the best results.
If you’re looking for sides to do with this dish, then you can simply cook up some rice to go with it. Alternatively, if you have another slow cooker then cooking up something like cheesy scalloped potatoes is a great side dish to have with this.
Any type of balsamic vinegar will work just fine with this dish. You can usually find it for sale at your local supermarket in with the vinegar. Alternatively, you can also find balsamic vinegar online at stores such as Amazon.
I should mention that this slow cooker honey balsamic chicken will feed roughly four people without any extras. If you’re having extras such as rice or potatoes, then you will be able to get a few more serves out of it.
Check out the video above if you love to see how to do things visually, it will take you through all the steps to making this delicious chicken dish. Alternatively, you can find the full written recipe below or in our fantastic slow cooker recipe book.
Slow Cooker Honey Balsamic Chicken Recipe
8 Hours & 15 Minutes
- 8 (1kg/2 lb.) chicken thighs
- 1 tsp. garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp. ginger, minced
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup honey
- ½ tsp. thyme
- ½ tsp. rosemary
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- In a slow cooker, add the garlic, ginger, balsamic vinegar, honey, thyme, rosemary, and mix.
- Add the chicken to the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker.
- Mix the cornstarch and water until it forms a paste. Stir into the sauce in the slow cooker.
- Return the chicken to the slow cooker, cook for 15 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
- Serve & Enjoy
- You can cook some vegetables in the slow cooker, but they will take on the color of the sauce and sometimes end up less enjoyable than doing them separately.
- I recommend using chicken thigh, but you can use any cut of chicken that you would like.
- You’re able to skip adding the cornstarch paste, but you will find the sauce will likely be quite runny.
- You can use either fresh or dried herbs, both will work just fine, but if you have some fresh herbs, I recommend using those.
If you need to know what the nutritional information is for this dish, then you can find it right below. I should mention that this information is estimated so it may not be super accurate but good enough to decide whether this dish is ok for you or not.
If you love this dish, then you should certainly check out honey garlic chicken for the slow cooker. It’s very similar to this dish but has a different combination of flavors. You’re able to cook some vegetables in the same pot if you don’t mind them tasting like the delicious sauce.
I hope that when you eat this slow cooker honey balsamic chicken, you enjoy it as much as I did. If you have some feedback, tips or anything else that you would like to say, then please feel free to leave a comment below.
I use a 5.5L/6 Quart slow cooker for all the recipes that I have on this website unless specified. If you have a smaller or larger slow cooker then you might need to adjust the ingredients.
Get all our super delicious slow cooker recipes in our quality slow cooker cookbook.