This delicious slow cooker chicken marsala is a fantastic dinner dish that’s great for feeding a crowd. The sauce is deliciously rich and has a ton of juicy slow cooked mushrooms.
Traditionally this dish is cooked in a frypan and usually has a much thicker sauce that is similar to a syrup. This slow cooker variation has a lot more sauce and tends to be runnier. The flavors are a lot more subtle when compared to the traditional frypan version.
There are a ton of sides that you’re able to cook for this dish. Basically, all your usual staples such as rice, pasta, and even potato mash will work great. Alternatively, you can prepare a side such as scalloped potatoes in the slow cooker to go with it.
When it comes to cooking chicken marsala in the slow cooker, it’s important to remember it will not cook as much of the alcohol off as when it’s cooked over the stove. This lack of cooking will mean the wine flavor will not be as prominent when you go to serve the dish.
Leftovers for this dish are worth keeping and will reheat the next day nicely. The leftovers are perfect if you like taking some lunch to work. Make sure you heat the chicken as it’s best hot. The leftovers will last a few days in the fridge. Alternatively, you can try freezing the leftovers.
If you like seeing how to do things visually then check out the video I have prepared below. The video will take you through all the steps of this tasty slow cooker recipe and if you like it then be sure to subscribe to the YouTube channel. Alternatively, you can find the written recipe for this slow cooker chicken marsala right under the video.
Slow Cooker Chicken Marsala Recipe
- 1kg (2.2 lb) chicken breasts
- 4 shallots, diced
- 500g (17.5 oz.) mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup sweet marsala wine
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. parsley
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp. water
- In a slow cooker, add the chicken, shallots, mushrooms, marsala wine, oregano, parsley, and lemon juice.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker.
- In a bowl, mix the cornstarch and water until it forms a paste. Mix into the slow cooker along with the cream.
- Return the chicken to the slow cooker and cook until the sauce has thickened.
- Serve & Enjoy
- Cream can be left out of this recipe if you’re trying to keep this dish as healthy as possible. However, the cream really does help add a ton of depth and flavor to this dish.
- For the best results, I recommend using a sweet marsala and not the dry variety for this slow cooker chicken marsala. You may find that using a dry marsala will result in a more acidic end result.
- If the sauce is still a little too runny for your liking, then add some more cornstarch. Just make sure you mix it with some water before adding it to the slow cooker.
If you would like the nutritional information for this tasty slow cooker dish, then you can find it right below. Please keep in mind this information has been estimated using an online tool so it may vary slightly if you calculate it yourself.
There are a ton of chicken dishes that you can cook in a slow cooker. If you like this one, then you might also like honey mustard chicken breasts. These are cooked in a rich honey and mustard sauce. Much like this dish, it goes great with some rice and vegetables.
I hope that you enjoy this slow cooker chicken marsala as much as I did and that you didn’t run into any issues while making it. If you have some feedback, variations, tips or anything else that you will like to say, then please don’t hesitate to leave a comment below.
Note: I use a 5.5L (6 Quart) slow cooker for all the recipes that I have on this website unless specified. If you have a smaller or larger slow cooker, then you might need to adjust the ingredients.