This slow cooker honey BBQ chicken is absolutely delicious, and I can eat it by the bucket load.
If you’re looking for a tasty slow cooked chicken dish, then you need to try this extremely tasty recipe.
The combination of BBQ and honey is an absolute classic and works great in the slow cooker. The long cook time allows for the flavors of the sauce to infuse into the chicken. The chicken also becomes incredibly tender.
Many different sides go great with this BBQ chicken. You can have the chicken with just some white rice or fresh cauliflower rice.
If you somehow end up with leftovers, then I highly recommend shredding the chicken and using it in sandwiches or pasta. The honey BBQ flavors will go great in those dishes.
Using a different type of BBQ sauce will change the outcome of this dish quite a bit. If you use a smoky BBQ sauce, you will get lovely honey and smoky BBQ sauce flavors. Highly recommend trying it out if you love different flavors. Also, our homemade BBQ sauce is pretty amazing.
As with all our chicken slow cooker recipes you can find the full recipe right below. The video is excellent if you wish to familiarise yourself with making this super easy honey BBQ chicken recipe quickly.
Slow Cooker Honey BBQ Chicken Recipe
Can't see the video? Support us by whitelisting us in your adblocker.
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 3 Tbsp. water
- In a bowl, mix the BBQ sauce, honey, and hot sauce.
- In a slow cooker, add the chicken drumsticks and pour the honey BBQ marinade over the top.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch with the water until it forms a paste.
- Slowly mix the cornstarch mixture into the marinade.
- Add the chicken back into the slow cooker and cook on high for 15 minutes or until thickened.
- Optional: Baste the chicken with the sauce and place under a grill to caramelize.
- Serve & Enjoy
- You can easily replace the chicken drumsticks for a different cut of meat. Both chicken thigh or breast will work well with this marinade. You can even try using some beef if you wanted to.
- I highly recommend that you thicken the marinade with the cornstarch mixture for the best results.
- Grilling the chicken is a great way to achieve crispy skin and a excellent caramelized marinade. It will only need a few minutes under the grill before being ready.
- Be careful with your cooking time if you’re using chicken drumsticks. If you cook them for too long, the chicken will just fall off the bone when you go to remove it from the slow cooker.
- As I mentioned above, you can use a different type of BBQ sauce. Personally, the plain BBQ sauce is tasty enough for me.
If you’re keeping an eye on what you eat, then the nutritional information below should come in handy.
As with all our recipes for the slow cooker, I have made use of an online calculator to work out the values below so they may not be 100% correct.
Plenty more chicken recipes taste and look as good as this one. If you want to try more chicken recipes out, then be sure to chicken out the honey soy chicken. If you feel like eating something sweet, then the orange chicken is also delicious.
I really hope that you enjoy this slow cooker honey BBQ chicken as much as I did. If you have some feedback, tips, variations or anything else, then please don’t hesitate to leave a comment below.
Note: I use a 5.5L (6 Quart) slow cooker for all the recipes that I have on this website unless specified. If you have a smaller or larger slow cooker, then you might need to adjust the ingredients.