This slow cooker butter chicken recipe is perfect if you feel like eating a nice warm creamy curry for lunch or dinner.
You will find that this recipe will take you about twenty minutes to prepare and then about six hours in the slow cooker. Of course, this time may vary depending on how quick or slow you are with preparation.
If you have a slow cooker that can sear, then you can do all this within the one pot. Otherwise, we will need to first cook the onion, garlic & spices before moving them to the slow cooker.
Your typical butter chicken curry is usually pretty mild regarding spices, so if you’re a fan of hot spicy food, then this will probably disappoint.
However, you can add some chili powder to the spices, and you will have that heat you want in the curry. I recommend adding about one or two teaspoons of chili powder. The quantity you use is totally up to you. You can add even more than what I recommend.
Like any curry, this is best to serve with some rice and naan bread, but of course, this all comes down to what you feel like. If you like eating something a bit healthier than just regular white rice, then something like cauliflower rice may interest you.
You can eat this curry by itself if you don’t feel like cooking any extras. Keep in mind that you might need to make more as it will no longer feed as many people without extras.
If you want to see how to cook this delicious curry, then be sure to check out the video below. It goes through every step of making a super delightful butter chicken curry in the slow cooker.
Slow Cooker Butter Chicken Recipe
6 Hours & 10 Minutes
6 Hours & 20 Minutes
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 800ml (27 fl oz) coconut cream
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 4 chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp ginger, ground
- 1 tsp coriander, ground
- 1 tsp cardamom, ground
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric, ground
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
- Add the butter, onion, garlic and cook until the onion is translucent about 2-4 minutes.
- Next, add all the curry spices and cook until fragrant, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chicken, spice mix, tomato paste and coconut cream into a slow cooker. Stir together.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 5-6 hours.
- Season with salt & pepper.
- Serve & Enjoy
- You can use chicken thigh instead of breast or pretty much any cut of chicken that you would like.
- If you love curry and could see yourself wanting this more in the future, then I highly recommend weighing out the spices in one large batch. This way whenever you need to cook this recipe you only need to measure 2 Tbsp. of the spice mix.
- I tend to avoid light coconut milk when making a curry as it does seem to curdle more than the regular full fat coconut cream.
- Also, avoid boiling the curry as this too may cause it to curdle. Finally, another suggestion is to leave the lid off, but this can also cause the curry to dry out.
- If you don’t feel like weighing out spices, then you can substitute everything but the chicken & onion. Just replace it with a jar butter chicken sauce.
- Towards the end of cooking, if you found that your curry split, then this can be easily be fixed by adding a bit of cornstarch and water. First mix one tablespoon of cornstarch with one tablespoon of water in a separate bowl. Once mixed, pour the cornstarch mixture into the curry and stir through. Allow to cook for a further 10 minutes to cook the flour taste out.
If you would like to know how much this delicious slow cooker butter chicken curry will have an impact on your diet, then you can find all the information you need below.
It’s important to point out that this data is only an estimate and doesn’t include any extras such as rice.
If you end up with any leftovers, then the curry will reheat well the next day. Just make sure you cover it and store it in a fridge until you need it. I would discard after a few days in the refrigerator.
There are plenty of other curries that you need to try. For something that is packed with flavor then try the peanut chicken curry.
If you have any thoughts, feedback, variations or anything else related to this slow cooker butter chicken recipe, then please feel free to leave a comment below.
Note: I use a 5.5L (6 Quart) slow cooker for all the recipes that I have on this website unless specified. If you have a smaller or larger slow cooker, then you might need to adjust the ingredients.