This delicious slow cooker chicken tikka masala is a must have for anyone who loves a good curry.
As with any curry, some delicious naan bread or even garlic bread goes well with this dish. If you have the time, then these can be made right at home otherwise you can find some decent quality store-bought varieties around.
Rice is also always an excellent addition to curry, but it’s not completely necessary. I often enjoy this just by itself, and it also saves on washing up. Making cauliflower rice is a great alternative for anyone looking to help keep their carb intake down.
If you’re not interested in making a curry paste from scratch, then you can use a store-bought paste instead. Pataks or Sharwood’s tend to be decent brands, but there may be better brands depending on where you live.
The leftovers for this dish will keep pretty well so make sure you don’t throw them out as they make for a delicious lunch the next day.
If you want to see how to prepare and cook this recipe, then be sure to check out the video below. It will take you through all the steps to making this chicken tikka masala curry.
Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe
6 Hours & 15 Minutes
6 Hours & 30 Minutes
- 500g (1 lb.) chicken thighs, cubed
- 1 Tbsp. oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tsp. garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp. ginger, crushed
- 1 tsp. cumin, ground
- 1 tsp. coriander seeds, ground
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 1 Tbsp. garam masala
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 800g (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup coconut milk, cream or yogurt
- cilantro for serving
- In a frying pan, add the oil, onion, garlic, ginger, tomato paste, garam masala, paprika and cook until fragrant.
- Transfer the spice mix into the slow cooker. Also, add the chicken and diced tomatoes.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- Lastly add the coconut milk, cream or yogurt. Cook for a further 10 more minutes.
- Season to taste.
- Serve & Enjoy
- You can skip the preparation of the curry paste in the frypan, but the flavors won’t be as intense. This will make it a lot easier to quickly get it prepared and cooking, perfect if you’re running low on time.
- If the curry is a bit too runny for your liking, make sure you thicken it with some cornstarch. Make sure you mix the cornstarch with a little bit of water before adding it to the curry. You should find 2 Tbsp. of cornstarch is more than enough.
- Using coconut milk, cream or yogurt will all give you a different outcome. For me, I prefer just plain cream as it helps bring the dish together quite well. However, yogurt and coconut milk are great alternatives. It just comes down to personal preference.
If you’re curious about how much of an impact this delicious chicken tikka masala curry will have on your diet, then you can find all the information you need below. Keep in mind this information doesn’t include any extras such rice or garlic bread.
There are so many curries that you’re able to do in the slow cooker. For example, I have already covered a delicious chicken korma curry that’s so easy to make. Indeed, worth giving a try if you just love a good hot curry.
If you have any feedback, tips or anything else you would like to say about this tasty slow cooker chicken tikka masala, then be sure to leave a comment below.
Note: I use a 5.5L (6 Quart) slow cooker for all the recipes that I have on this website unless specified. If you have a smaller or larger slow cooker, then you might need to adjust the ingredients.