This slow cooker BBQ sauce is sweet, tangy and incredibly addictive. It’s the perfect condiment to get cooking in your slow cooker.
As I mention a lot, the slow cooker is ideal for making sauces and condiments as the long cooking time allows for flavors to intensify, creating that condiment everyone wants.
The BBQ sauce is so versatile and comes in handy with so many different recipes. For example, it’s excellent as a sauce on a pizza. It is also fantastic as a marinade on some chicken or beef. I love to mix it through some pulled pork.
There are so many different variations that you can do for this BBQ sauce. I have listed a few examples in the cooking tips further down the page such as adding liquid smoke to the mixture.
This slow cooker BBQ sauce will keep for a couple of weeks stored covered in the refrigerator. To have it keep for longer, you will need to look at sealing the jar correctly.
If you’re going to store the BBQ sauce in a sealed jar, then you might want to double or triple the recipe, so you get more out of the one batch. I found this recipe made enough for a couple of weeks in our large household.
As with almost all our slow cooker recipes you can find the full video right below. Alternatively, the written recipe is directly underneath the video.
Slow Cooker BBQ Sauce Recipe
Can't see the video? Support us by disabling your adblocker.
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tsp. garlic, crushed
- 1 green apple, peeled and diced
- 1 Tbsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp cloves, ground
- 1 Tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 400g (14 oz) diced tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp. treacle
- Place all the ingredients into the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Blitz until the BBQ Sauce is relatively smooth.
- Transfer to sterilized glass jars and seal appropriately.
- Serve & Enjoy
- If you love a smoky flavor in your BBQ Sauce, then try adding a couple of drops of liquid smoke. This will add a ton of flavor into the sauce.
- You can also try swapping out the brown sugar for honey instead or you can do 50/50. This alteration will give you a honey BBQ sauce that is delicious.
- To get a perfectly smooth BBQ sauce you will need to push it through a sieve. Doing this will remove any lumps and leave you with a silky-smooth sauce.
- Type of apple should be a cooking apple such as granny smith. With that said, most variations of apple will still work fine.
- Treacle can be replaced with regular molasses. Do not use blackstrap molasses as it can be quite bitter.
- You can reduce the sugar slightly if you prefer your BBQ sauce to be tangier then sweet.
The nutritional information for this tasty BBQ sauce can be found below. You will need to add these values to whatever you have the sauce with. Such as some scrumptious gluten-free crusted chicken.
There are many different recipes for the slow cooker ranging from condiments like this right through to delicious dinner dishes. I love how versatile the slow cooker can be.
I love this slow cooker BBQ sauce, and I hope that you will do too. If you have any feedback or variations, then be sure to leave a comment below.
Note: I use a 5.5L (6 Quart) slow cooker for all the recipes that I have on this website unless specified. If you have a smaller or larger slow cooker, then you might need to adjust the ingredients.