Back to Recipe Print Recipe
Slow Cooker Honey Soy Chicken Recipe
- Prep time: 10 Minutes
- Cook time: 8 Hours
- Total time: 8 Hours & 10 Minutes
- Serves: 6
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ½ cup honey
- 1 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp ginger, minced
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1.5 kg (3.3 lb) chicken drumsticks
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp water
- Mix the soy sauce, honey, garlic, ginger, and sesame oil in the slow cooker.
- Add chicken drumsticks to the slow cooker, baste them, so they are well coated.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch with the water until it forms a paste.
- Add the cornstarch mixture to the slow cooker and mix.
- Add the chicken back in and cook on high for 15 minutes or until thickened.
- Optional: Baste chicken with the sauce and place it under a grill for a few minutes to caramelize.
- Serve & Enjoy
- I recommended grilling the chicken as it will help the marinade caramelize. It’s still amazing straight out of the slow cooker.
- You use any cut of chicken for this recipe. I made use of chicken drumsticks. However, you can use chicken thigh, breast, wings, or basically any cut of chicken you want.
- Double-check the ingredients in the soy sauce to ensure that this recipe will be gluten-free. You can buy a gluten-free soy sauce at most supermarkets.
- A thickener such as cornstarch is perfect if you want a nice thick marinade. However, you can use something like arrowroot instead. The sauce is still pretty good without any thickener.
- Soy sauce brands can vary heavily in flavor and saltiness. If you're unsure about the soy you're using, then don't hesitate to tinker the amount of honey and soy you use
Did you make this recipe?
We want to see! Tag @slowcookingperfected
on Instagram or use the hashtag #slowcookingperfected
so we can find you!