Back to Recipe Print Recipe
Slow Cooker General Tso's Chicken Recipe
- Prep time: 15 Minutes
- Cook time: 6 Hours & 15 Minutes
- Total time: 6 Hours & 30 Minutes
- Serves: 6
- 2 kg (4.4 lb) chicken drumsticks
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 3 Tbps water
- Mix the garlic, ginger, Chinese rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, brown sugar, and Shaoxing wine in a jug.
- Add the chicken drumsticks to the slow cooker and pour the marinade over the top.
- Cook on low for 6 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch with the water until it forms a paste.
- Slowly mix in the cornstarch mixture with the marinade.
- Return the chicken to the slow cooker and cook on high for 15 minutes or until thickened.
- Optional: Baste the chicken with the sauce and place under a broiler to caramelize.
- Serve & Enjoy.
- Gluten-free variants are available for Hoisin sauce and soy sauce.
- Placing the chicken under a broiler is a great way to get beautiful crispy skin. It is also perfect if you want to caramelize the sauce slightly.
- Cornstarch is essential as it will thicken the General Tso's sauce. You can use a different thickener such as arrowroot, but whatever you do, make sure you thicken the sauce.
- You can use any type of chicken for this dish. For example, chicken breast or thigh will work great. I recommend keeping the chicken cuts whole and not cutting them into little bits.
- I recommend cooking this recipe for six hours, but it should be fine for a little longer if you are running late. There will be a point where the chicken will just fall off the bones. This will make it hard to get the chicken out in one piece.
Did you make this recipe?
We want to see! Tag @slowcookingperfected
on Instagram or use the hashtag #slowcookingperfected
so we can find you!