Slow cooker teriyaki chicken is yet another amazing dish that you can cook up in one of the best kitchen appliances you can get. This slightly sweet dish is a favorite of so many people and a dish that even the kids will enjoy.
As you would imagine the best side that goes with this dish is, of course, some rice. You will need to do the rice in a rice cooker or over the stove. There are of course so many different sides that will work with this dish. For example, even just some noodles will go well the chicken.
The meat can also be used in a ton of other dishes such as chicken wraps, salads, sushi, nachos, potato jackets and so much more. If you’re using it for something like sushi, then you might want to allow it to cool first.
If you end up with leftovers, then be sure to shred the chicken and keep it in the sauce stored in the fridge. It makes for excellent sandwich meat for lunches the next day or even just served with some rice and reheated in the microwave.
In this recipe, we make the teriyaki sauce from scratch as it’s very easy and you only need a few ingredients. However, if you have some store-bought sauce or would prefer to use it, then you can replace the sauce with your version.
Love seeing things done visually? Be sure to check out the video I have prepared below. It will take you through all the steps to making this delicious chicken dish in the slow cooker.
Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken Recipe
6 Hours & 15 Minutes
6 Hours & 30 Minutes
- 1kg (3 lb.) chicken thighs
- 1 tsp. garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp. ginger, crushed
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp. water
- In the slow cooker add the garlic, ginger, soy sauce, honey, and the rice wine vinegar.
- Add the chicken and baste it with the sauce.
- Cook on low for 6 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and place to the side.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the cornstarch with the water until it forms a smooth paste.
- Pour the cornstarch mixture into the slow cooker and mix together.
- Return the chicken to the slow cooker and cook for 15 minutes.
- Serve & Enjoy
- Depending on what you feel like you can shred the chicken when you remove it from the slow cooker. This tweak will allow the sauce to completely cover the chicken, leaving you with much richer chicken teriyaki.
- The honey can be swapped out for just plain white sugar. There shouldn’t be a considerable amount of difference apart from subtle changes in flavor and sauce consistency.
- If you want some vegetables to go with this then just add them about an hour before the end. Just make sure they’re not too chunky otherwise they might not cook all the way through.
- A tasty garnish for this dish is some sesame seeds and sliced scallions.
- If you prefer a runnier sauce then merely leave the cornstarch and water mix out.
If you’re looking for the nutritional information for this delicious slow cooker teriyaki, then you can find it right below. I calculated this information online so it may not be 100% accurate but hopefully good enough for you to determine if this ok for you.
If teriyaki isn’t your thing, then there are a ton of other different chicken recipes that you can do in the slow cooker. The honey garlic chicken is one of my favorites and is super easy to make. Much like this dish, you can cook some extra vegetables in the slow cooker or separately.
I hope this slow cooker teriyaki chicken comes out to be as delicious as it did for me. If you have any tips, feedback or anything else that you would like to say, then please feel free to leave a comment below.
I use a 5.5L/6 Quart slow cooker for all the recipes that I have on this website unless specified. If you have a smaller or larger slow cooker then you might need to adjust the ingredients.
Get all our super delicious slow cooker recipes in our quality slow cooker cookbook!