This slow cooker satay chicken reaffirms my love for satay. It has a rich, lovely sauce that has a slight bit of spice and a wonderful peanut flavor.
The sauce of this dish is so delicious I could eat it by itself. It’s a simple combination of ingredients, but it works so incredibly well. You can make some variations to the sauce to fit your needs, be sure to check out the cooking tips further down the page.
You can make this satay dish with beef instead. There are a few changes that you will need to make, so that the beef version is just as good as this one.
I love having satay food with some freshly cooked rice. You will need to cook this in a rice cooker for the results. Alternatives to rice include having it with some noodle instead.
If you need to feed a crowd, then you will need some sides to go with this dish. As I recommend above, rice is an excellent side. If you have the energy, then you can try making some naan bread to go with it.
The leftovers of this slow cooker satay chicken are great for lunch the next day. Simply heat and serve with some rice for the tastiest leftover dish ever.
I have put together a video on how to make this delicious recipe so be sure to check it out below. Alternatively, you can find my full written recipe right underneath the video.
Slow Cooker Satay Chicken Recipe
8 Hours & 15 Minutes
- 500g (17.5 oz) chicken thigh, cubed
- 2 tsp peanut oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thick slices
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ginger, crushed
- 1 tsp red chili flakes
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 6 Tbsp peanut butter
- ½ cup coconut milk
- ½ cup chicken stock
- Add all the ingredients into a slow cooker and mix slightly.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Season to taste.
- Serve & Enjoy
- You can use any cut of chicken for this dish. With that said, I highly recommend that you use chicken thigh as it won’t dry out as much as chicken breast. Another option is to use chicken drumsticks.
- The chili flakes add a bit of the depth to the dish but can be left out if you’re a bit sensitive to spicy food.
- If you find the sauce is a little too runny towards the end of cooking, you can either thicken it using more peanut butter or use a cornstarch mixture. For the cornstarch mixture, simply combine water and cornstarch until forms a paste then mix into the sauce.
If you need the nutritional information for this tasty satay chicken, then you can find it below. It’s an estimate, so if you calculate the nutrition yourself, then it might be slightly different.
Please keep in mind that I haven’t included any extras that you will probably have with the satay chicken such as rice.
There are many other chicken recipes that you should try cooking in the slow cooker. For example, I love making salsa chicken. Its chicken cooked in salsa topped with a few handfuls of shredded cheese.
The slow cooker curries that you can do are well worth trying as well. If you love a bit of spice like what you get in this dish, then you’re going to enjoy some of the chicken curries that you can do. I highly recommend the peanut chicken curry.
I highly recommend trying this slow cooker satay chicken as you’re likely to love it as much as I did. If you have some thoughts, tips or anything else, then please don’t hesitate to leave a comment below.
Note: I use a 5.5L (6 Quart) slow cooker for all the recipes that I have on this website unless specified. If you have a smaller or larger slow cooker, then you might need to adjust the ingredients.