This delicious slow cooker mashed sweet potato is a side dish that is worth trying.
It has a slight hint of nutmeg, cinnamon and is deliciously creamy. It’s super easy to do, so it’s perfect if you need to make this dish in bulk.
As you could imagine this dish is best suited as a side dish rather than as a main. It’s perfect if you need to feed a lot of people. A cheesy chicken parmesan goes excellent with this mashed sweet potato. If you have two slow cookers, then you can cook them at the same time.
If you think this recipe might make too much, then you can halve or quarter the ingredients. Alternatively, the leftovers can come in handy later.
There are quite a few different mains that you can have with this dish. If you have two slow cookers, then you can have the mash cooking in one and a main dinner dish cooking in the other. Sausage and peppers always go great on the top of some delicious mashed sweet potato.
As with most slow cooker dishes, the leftovers can be kept for later. Simply store in the fridge then heat it in a microwave or oven whenever you need some mash. The leftovers are perfect if you love to have some mashed potato with some meals later in the week. You can even use it in some recipes such as tuna cakes or something similar.
A video is the best way to quickly see how to make a recipe and if you want to check out mine then be sure to watch it below. If you’re more of a written recipe person, then you can find one right underneath the video or in our fantastic slow cooker cookbook.
Slow Cooker Mashed Sweet Potato Recipe
8 Hours & 15 Minutes
- 2 kg (4.4 lb) sweet potato, peeled & cubed
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tsp. cinnamon, ground
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg, ground
- 60g (2 oz) butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Add the sweet potatoes, chicken stock, cinnamon, and nutmeg into the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for about 6-8 hours or 3-4 hours on high.
- Mash the sweet potato until nice and smooth. Slowly mix in the butter and sour cream.
- Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Serve & Enjoy
- You can add a tablespoon or two of brown sugar if you like a bit of sweetness to your slow cooker mashed sweet potato.
- Chicken stock can be replaced with vegetable stock or even water. Keep in mind, if you use water, then you will lose quite a bit of flavor and will need to add a bit more salt.
- You can leave out the sour cream and use something like milk for a healthier mash. If you use milk then make sure you adjust accordingly, you probably only need ¼ cup of milk.
- You can also do just regular mashed potato in the slow cooker as well. It too works so well, perfect when you need to cook in bulk.
This tasty dish is certainly one you can go back for seconds, but if you’re a little health conscious, then you might want to know how much this might impact your diet. If this is the case, then you can find all the nutritional information you need right below.
There are many other potato-based dishes that you can do in the slow cooker. A lot of them are incredibly delicious and well worth trying if you love a tasty potato dish. Some of them can be eaten as main meals such as the cheesy potatoes while other recipes are better suited as side dishes, like this one.
I hope that this slow cooker mashed sweet potato cooks to be as delicious as it was for me. If you have any feedback, variations or something else that you would like to share, then please don’t hesitate to leave a comment below.
Note: I use a 5.5L (6 Quart) slow cooker for all the recipes that I have on this website unless specified. If you have a smaller or larger slow cooker, then you might need to adjust the ingredients.