This delicious slow cooker sausage and peppers dish are great if you need to feed a few heads. The flavors in this dish are amazing with a light but fulfilling tomato and bell pepper sauce with succulent Italian sausages.
Depending on what you feel like you can eat these on top of some potato mash, rice or even zucchini pasta. Alternatively, you can have this dish in a hot dog roll or something similar. Either way, it’s still delicious.
Sausage and peppers is a pretty good dish to eat the next day for lunch so if you, have leftovers then be sure to keep them. You can also freeze this dish for later just make sure you keep it in an airtight container. When you go to reheat this dish make sure you do it in the microwave, hot pan or a hot oven.
Even though this is usually a lunch or dinner dish, you can easily have this as a breakfast. It will go pretty well with some hash browns, eggs, and some bacon.
I love doing a video to go with the recipes so if you love to see things done visually be sure to check out the video below. If you prefer text, then you can find the full written recipe right underneath the video.
Slow Cooker Sausage & Peppers Recipe
6 Hours & 15 Minutes
- 6 Italian sausages
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 tsp. garlic, crushed
- 2 bell peppers, sliced
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 800g (28 oz.) crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. basil
- In a frying pan, quickly brown the sausages on all sides.
- Add the sausages to the slow cooker along with the onion, garlic, bell peppers, tomato paste, crushed tomatoes, basil and the oregano.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve & Enjoy
- For the best results, I highly recommend mixing up the type of bell peppers you’re using. This particular recipe I used a red and green bell pepper. Using a variety of different colored peppers gives you not only a great combination of colors but also flavor.
- Browning of the sausages is completely optional, but I highly recommend doing it to reduce the amount of oil in the final dish. You will also find that it does help add a bit of a different texture to the sausages.
- If you can’t get your hands on Italian sausages, then any kind of fat sausage will do. Just keep in mind the fattier the sausage is, the more fat will pool in the slow cooker. Simply just skim this off at the end of cooking.
If you need some nutritional information for this tasty sausage and peppers dish, then be sure to check it out below. Keep in mind it’s just an estimate and does not take into account any extras that you might have with it.
There are quite a few sausages recipes that you can do in the slow cooker. Something like the tasty sausage casserole is yet another great slow cooker dish and has a lovely gravy sauce.
I hope that you enjoy this slow cooker sausage and peppers recipe and that you didn’t have any trouble making it. If you have some feedback, tips, or anything else then feel free to leave a comment below.
Note: I use a 5.5L (6 Quart) slow cooker for all the recipes that I have on this website unless specified. If you have a smaller or larger slow cooker, then you might need to adjust the ingredients.