Back to Recipe Print Recipe Back to Recipe Print Recipe
Slow Cooker Sausage & Peppers Recipe
- Prep time 15 Minutes
- Cook time: 6 Hours
- Total time 6 Hours & 15 Minutes
- Serves 6
- 6 Italian sausages
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 tsp garlic, crushed
- 2 bell peppers, sliced
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 800g (1.7 lb) crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp basil
To ensure that this recipe is gluten-free check the ingredients of the sausages.
- In a frying pan, quickly brown the sausages on all sides.
- Add the sausages to the slow cooker along with the onion, garlic, bell peppers, tomato paste, crushed tomatoes, basil and the oregano.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve & Enjoy
- For the best results, I highly recommend mixing up the type of bell peppers you’re using. This particular recipe I used a red and green bell pepper. Using a variety of different colored peppers gives you not only a great combination of colors but also flavor.
- Browning of the sausages is completely optional, but I highly recommend doing it to reduce the amount of oil in the final dish. You will also find that it does help add a bit of a different texture to the sausages.
- If you can’t get your hands on Italian sausages, then any kind of fat sausage will do. Just keep in mind the fattier the sausage is, the more fat will pool in the slow cooker. Simply just skim this off at the end of cooking.
- For a little bit more flavor, you can add a splash of red wine to the sauce.
- Other types of sausages will work fine in this recipe. For example, you can try using something like chorizo or kielbasa instead.
Did you make this recipe?
We want to see! Tag @slowcookingperfected
on Instagram or use the hashtag #slowcookingperfected
so we can find you!