If you’re looking for a flavor-packed dinner that’s super easy, then this slow cooker sausage and potatoes recipe is for you.
Two words describe this dish perfectly, comfort food. The rich, creamy sauce along with the sausage and potatoes makes this super fulfilling. It’s packed in flavor and is a meal that you will likely go back for seconds.
Doing casseroles in the slow cooker is an excellent way to get a flavor-packed dish. The long cooking time allows for all the flavors to develop into something beautiful.
A single batch of this recipe should feed roughly four to six people. You can feed more with the addition of sides or adding more ingredients such as the suggestions below.
There are plenty of changes that you could make to this recipe. For example, you can add some diced bacon, mushrooms, carrot and so much more. If you do a variation be sure to let us know how it goes in the comments at the bottom of this page.
I don’t recommend sides with this dish as it is pretty fulfilling on its own. However, if you need something, then a good stick of garlic bread goes excellent on the side.
If you somehow end up with leftovers, then you can refrigerate them for lunch or dinner the next day. As with most creamy dishes I don’t find that it reheats too well. So, I highly recommend eating it all in one day.
This slow cooker sausage and potato casserole is very creamy, if you’re looking for something a little less creamy then be sure to check out our regular sausage casserole. It has a lovely rich gravy sauce, so I highly recommend it.
I have put together a short but informative video on how to make this delicious sausage and potatoes dish. You can find it right below. Alternatively, you can find the full written recipe right under the video.
Slow Cooker Sausage and Potatoes Recipe
8 Hours & 15 Minutes
- 500g (1.1 lb) smoked sausage, cut into 1cm (0.4 in) pieces
- 500g (1.1 lb) potatoes, cut in chunks
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 tsp garlic, crushed
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp parsley, chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- 4 Tbsp water
- In a slow cooker, add the smoked sausage, potatoes, onion, garlic, chicken stock, Worcestershire sauce and parsley.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or until the potatoes are cooked.
- Mix the cornstarch with the water until smooth. Stir into the slow cooker along with the heavy cream.
- Cook on high for 15-30 minutes or until thickened.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve & Enjoy.
- The type of sausage you use is entirely up to you. For example, both Polish (Kielbasa) and Italian sausages will work very well. Even the cheap supermarket sausages work well.
- You can use any type of potato in this recipe, but I recommend using something like Yukon for the best results.
- If you have the need for cheese, then feel free to add it to this recipe. I recommend mixing it in at the same time as the cornstarch mixture.
- The herb that you use in this dish can easily be swapped for something else. I made use of parsley, but plenty of others such as chives will work just fine.
If you’re keeping an eye on what you’re eating, then hopefully you will find the nutritional information below helpful.
Any extras that you might decide to have will need their nutritional values added to the ones below. However, I find that this dish is just fine on its own.
If you love comfort food and looking for something potato based, then you need to check out the cheesy potatoes with bacon. They’re super loaded with cheese, a whole heap of bacon. Not hugely recommended if you’re on a health kick.
I enjoy this slow cooker sausage and potatoes recipe as it’s easy and delicious. I hope that you will love this dish as much as I do. If you have any variations, tips or anything else, then please don’t hesitate to leave a comment below.
Note: I use a 5.5L (6 Quart) slow cooker for all the recipes that I have on this website unless specified. If you have a smaller or larger slow cooker, then you might need to adjust the ingredients.