This slow cooker sausage casserole is the perfect way to feed a crowd whilst also keeping costs low. This casserole has a thick flavor packed gravy that is so good you will find yourself going back for seconds.
This dish can be eaten by itself but if you’re looking for something to go with it then I recommend a delicious creamy potato mash or even just some rice. My personal favourite is the potato mash!
If you have leftover sausages, then a good way to use them all up is in this sausage casserole. You will also be able to skip the first step since the sausages are probably already cooked. Simply slice and place in the slow cooker!
If you want to see how this sausage casserole recipe is done visually then be sure to check out the video below. I go through step by step of getting this slow cooker recipe prepared, cooked and ready for eating.
Sausage Casserole Slow Cooker Recipe
6 Hours & 30 Minutes
6 Hours & 40 Minutes
- 8 Sausages (Pork or beef will work best)
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tsp. garlic, crushed
- 2 Tbsp. plain flour
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 tsp. thyme (Fresh or dried)
- 1 bay leaf (optional)
- 3 cups beef stock or water
- In a frying pan, cook the sausages until their golden brown.
- Remove and allow to cool slightly before cutting into thick slices.
- Add the butter, onion, and garlic and cook for about 1 minute.
- Add flour and stir in. Cook for about 2 minutes.
- Slowly stir in the beef stock & the Worcestershire sauce. Once done, transfer to the slow cooker.
- Add the diced carrot, thyme, sausages and peas to the slow cooker.
- Cook for 4-6 hours on low.
- Season with salt & pepper.
- Serve & Enjoy.
- Supposing that you find the sauce is still really runny by the time you’re ready to eat it then you can thicken it up using a bit of cornflour. Simply mix 1 tbsp. cornstarch to 1 ½ Tbsp. of water and then mix this into your sauce. It should thicken up quite a bit. Repeat if you need to make it thicker.
- If you’re a fan of beans and would like to bulk this out a little than 1x 400g (14 Oz) can of cannellini beans is an excellent addition to this. Make sure you drain and rinse them before adding it to the slow cooker. Add these when you add the carrot.
- In the case that you prefer the peas to be bright and green, then add these before you go to serve the casserole. Remember if you’re adding these frozen it will cool down the casserole so you will probably want to make sure it heats back up. Turning the slow cooker to high for 15 should be long enough to reheat it.
- Assuming that you love bacon, then you can add some to this dish as well. Merely dice about four slices of bacon and cook off with the onion. This variation will add that amazing bacon flavor we all know and love.
If you want to know how much of an impact this slow cooker sausage casserole will have on your diet, then you find all the information you need below. Keep in mind this information is only an estimate but will hopefully give you a good idea of what to expect from eating this tasty dish. Also, it doesn’t take into account any extras you might have such as rice.
This dish is hearty and great if you need to feed a crowd. Another dish that you might like be interested is the butter chicken slow cooker recipe. This too feeds a crowd but also has a fantastic combination of spices.
I hope that you cook this slow cooker sausage casserole recipe up without any issues and that it also tastes amazing. If you have variation that you would love to share or just have some feedback, then please don’t hesitate to leave a comment below.
I use a 5.5L/6 Quart slow cooker for all the recipes that I have on this website unless specified. If you have a smaller or larger slow cooker then you might need to adjust the ingredients.
Get all our super delicious slow cooker recipes in our quality slow cooker cookbook.