This incredible slow cooker sweet and sour chicken will please anyone who is a fan of the traditional version of this dish.
As you would expect, rice goes amazingly well with any sweet and sour dish. However, there are alternatives you can try out such as rice noodles. If you’re going to make some rice, I recommend doing it in either a rice cooker or cooking it over the stove (Rice cooker is a lot easier). If you don’t feel like any extras, then this is perfect just on its own.
If there are any leftovers, then you should certainly keep them as they will reheat nicely. Just make sure you keep it stored in an airtight container in the fridge. If you’re keeping sweet n sour chicken with rice, then be careful as rice can become unsafe to eat fast if it is at room temperature for too long.
You’re able to use either chicken thigh or breast in this dish. Sometimes I find chicken breast will become dry after hours of cooking in the slow cooker, so I usually stick to chicken thigh depending on the type of dish I’m making.
If you love seeing things done visually then be sure to check out the video below. It will take you through all the steps to getting this delicious sweet and sour chicken prepared and cooking.
Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Chicken Recipe
8 Hours & 20 Minutes
- 500g (1.5 lb) chicken thigh, cubed
- 440g (15.5 oz) can pineapple Pieces with unsweetened juice (Don’t drain)
- 1 onion, quartered
- 1 carrot, peeled & sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- ½ tsp. ginger, chopped
- 3 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 4 Tbsp. ketchup
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp. water
- In a slow cooker, add the chicken, pineapple, onion, carrot, red bell pepper, ginger, brown sugar, ketchup, soy sauce and lastly the apple cider vinegar. Mix together until combined.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or 4 hours on high.
- In a small bowl, mix together the cornstarch and the water. Once well combined, pour into the slow cooker and mix well. Cook for a further 15 minutes with the lid on or off.
- Serve & Enjoy
- You shouldn’t feel the need to add any more salt to this dish as the soy usually provides enough. If you’re unsure, just simply taste and adjust the seasoning before you go to serve.
- If you don’t like ketchup or don’t have any around, then you can swap this out for tomato paste or something similar. The taste will be slightly different but not enough to detract from the overall dish (It could end up being better tasting).
- There are quite a few different types of vegetables that you can add to this dish. For example, something like water chestnuts or even some baby corn will go well in it. You can add these vegetables at the start of cooking
If you’re watching your waistline or would just like to know the nutritional information of what you’re eating, then you can find all you need to know below.
This information is an estimate and doesn’t consider any extras such as rice. If you alter the recipe, then this information will be slightly wrong depending on how much you alter it.
If you love sweet and sour as I do, then you might be interested in the delicious sweet & sour meatballs dish. It’s pretty much the same as this recipe but instead has big juicy meatballs that are worth the extra time and effort it takes to make them.
I hope that this slow cooker sweet and sour chicken comes out to be as nice as it did for me. If you have a variation, tips or something else that you would like to share, then please don’t hesitate to leave a comment below.
Note: I use a 5.5L (6 Quart) slow cooker for all the recipes that I have on this website unless specified. If you have a smaller or larger slow cooker, then you might need to adjust the ingredients.