These slow cooker sweet and sour meatballs are an absolutely amazing dish and well worth the time and effort involved in preparing them.
Sweet and sour is one of my favorite types of meals. There are just so many variations that you’re able to do. This recipe takes you through the steps to making a delicious meatball dish.
This dish looks quite complicated because we need to make the meatballs and the sweet and sour sauce from scratch. You can always prepare this dish a bit faster by buying pre-packed varieties such as frozen meatballs or packet sauce. The downside to packet food is that it doesn’t nearly taste as good and typically contains lots of additives.
If you have a bit of extra time towards the end of cooking, then you should certainly try this dish with some rice, noodles or anything else you feel like having with it.
Make sure you don’t throw any leftovers out as they will heat well the next day. It makes it great if you need an leisurely lunch or dinner. It should keep fine for a few days in the fridge as long as it’s stored correctly.
If you want to see how to make this amazingly good slow cooker dinner recipe, then be sure to check out the video below. It will take you through everything there is to know for getting this dish prepared and into the slow cooker.
Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Meatballs Recipe
- 500g (17.5 oz) ground beef
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 tsp. garlic, crushed
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp. parsley, chopped
- Salt & Pepper
Sweet & Sour Sauce
- 440g (15.5 oz) can pineapple Pieces, unsweetened juice (Don’t drain)
- 1 large red or green bell pepper, quartered
- 1 onion, quartered
- 1 carrot peeled & sliced
- 1 tsp. ginger, crushed
- 3 Tbsp. brown sugar
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 4 Tbsp. ketchup
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp. water
- In a bowl, combine the ground beef, diced onion, garlic, egg, parsley, breadcrumbs and season lightly with salt & pepper.
- Roll the mix into balls. (2 Tbsp. each should give you nice sized balls)
- In a fry-pan over medium heat, brown the meatballs and then put to the side.
- In the slow cooker, mix the brown sugar, ketchup, ginger, apple cider vinegar, pineapple juice and lastly the soy sauce.
- Add the meatballs, bell pepper, pineapple pieces, onion and the carrot.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for about 4 hours.
- Just before you go to serve, mix the water and cornstarch until it forms a paste.
- Add the paste to the slow cooker and mix until well combined.
- Allow to cook for about 15 minutes to help cook out the cornstarch.
- Serve & Enjoy
- As with any type of slow cooking you don’t need to fry off the meatballs before adding it to the slow cooker. However, you may notice a difference in taste and texture. The meatballs, in this case, may fall apart if you don't brown them beforehand.
- You can add more vegetables to the sweet and sour sauce if you’re looking to add more to this dish. Button mushrooms, water chestnuts are just a couple of great vegetables that you’re able to add to this delicious recipe.
- If you don’t mind a super runny sauce, then you don’t need to add the cornstarch. Unfortunately, one side effect of slow cookers is their tendency to be very soupy because the cooking method doesn’t allow moisture to evaporate.
- You can swap out the beef mince for a different type of meat. For example, pork or even chicken will go well in this dish, but it’s entirely up to you.
If you’re curious about how much of an impact these delicious sweet and sour meatballs will have on your diet, then you can find all the nutritional information below. Keep in mind this doesn’t include any extras that you might have with the meatballs such as rice.
As I mentioned above, there are other variations that you’re able to do with this incredibly tasty slow cooker dinner recipe. If you’re a lover of pork, then you should certainly give the easy slow cooker sweet and sour pork a go too. Alternatively, you can swap the ground beef for ground pork, and you will have lovely pork meatballs in this recipe.
I hope that you enjoy this slow cooker sweet and sour meatballs recipe. If you have any feedback, tips or anything else that you would like to ask or say, then please don’t hesitate to leave a comment below.
Note: I use a 5.5L (6 Quart) slow cooker for all the recipes that I have on this website unless specified. If you have a smaller or larger slow cooker, then you might need to adjust the ingredients.