This slow cooker sweet and sour beef is absolutely delicious and goes great with some rice or noodle.
As the name suggests, the sauce will be sweet and sour and is inspired by one of the many Asian cuisines, Chinese. The sour comes from the vinegar while the sweetness comes from the pineapple juice and brown sugar. Beef will take on the flavor of the sauce and cooks to be incredibly tender.
You should be able to feed at least four people from a single batch of this recipe. The more sides that you have, the more you will likely be able to feed.
If you’re trying to think of some sides to go with this slow cooker sweet and sour beef, then I highly recommend some rice. Alternatively, it also goes great with a bowl of cauliflower rice, or just some noodle.
The long cooking time enables us to use a cheaper and tougher cut of beef. Since we will be cooking the meat for a long time, it will cook to be deliciously tender.
Any leftovers are worth keeping as this dish will heat the next day nicely. If you don’t plan on using the leftovers anytime soon, then you can freeze it rather than refrigerating it. I highly recommend that you don’t store it with rice.
Below is a video on how to make this delicious sweet and sour beef in the slow cooker. If you prefer a written recipe, then you can find it right underneath the video.
Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Beef Recipe
8 Hours & 30 Minutes
8 Hours & 50 Minutes
- 500g (1.2 lb) beef, cubed
- 440g (1 lb) can pineapple Pieces with unsweetened juice (Don’t drain)
- 1 onion, quartered
- 1 carrot, peeled & sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp. ginger, chopped
- 3 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 4 Tbsp. ketchup
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp. water
- In a frypan, quickly sear the beef, so it’s browned on all sides.
- In a slow cooker add all the ingredients except for the cornstarch and water.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- In a bowl, mix the cornstarch and water until it forms a paste. Pour into the slow cooker and stir until mixed in.
- Cook on high for 15-30 minutes or until thickened.
- Serve & Enjoy
- If you’re not a fan of ketchup, then a good tomato paste will be fine to use instead.
- There are more ingredients that you can add to this dish. For example, baby corn and water chestnuts are delicious in this dish. Other vegetables work well too.
- Cooking on high is an option if you’re running low on time. Make sure you half the amount of cooking time to avoid overcooking the vegetables.
- You can skip browning the meat if you're running low on time. You may need to skim off any excess fat towards the end of cooking in the slow cooker.
If you’re counting calories or just interested in the nutritional information, then you can find all you need to know below.
I should mention that I use an online calculator to work out the nutritional values so they may not be perfect. You will also need to add any extras, such as rice.
If you’re after something a little less sweet, then you should check out the beef and broccoli. It’s super easy and has an incredible sauce that you must try.
That’s all I have on this slow cooker sweet and sour beef recipe. If you have any thoughts, feedback, tips or anything else, then please don’t hesitate to leave a comment below.
Note: I use a 5.5L (6 Quart) slow cooker for all the recipes that I have on this website unless specified. If you have a smaller or larger slow cooker, then you might need to adjust the ingredients.