Back to Recipe Print Recipe
Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Beef Recipe
- Prep time: 20 Minutes
- Cook time: 8 Hours & 30 Minutes
- Total time: 8 Hours & 50 Minutes
- Serves: 4-6
- 500 g (1.1 lb) beef, cubed
- 440 g (15.5 oz) can pineapple pieces with unsweetened juice (Do not drain)
- 1 onion, quartered
- 1 carrot, peeled & sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp ginger, chopped
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar
- 4 Tbsp ketchup
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- In a frypan, quickly sear the beef, so it is browned on all sides.
- In a slow cooker, add all the ingredients except for the cornstarch and water.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- In a bowl, mix the cornstarch and water until it forms a paste. Pour into the slow cooker and stir until mixed in.
- Cook on high for 15-30 minutes or until thickened.
- Serve & Enjoy.
- To ensure that this dish is gluten-free, use a gluten-free variety of soy sauce, cornstarch, and ketchup.
- If you are not a fan of ketchup, then a good tomato paste will be fine to use instead.
- There are more ingredients that you can add to this dish. For example, baby corn and water chestnuts are delicious in this dish. Other vegetables work well too.
- Cooking on high is an option if you are running low on time. Make sure you half the amount of cooking time to avoid overcooking the vegetables.
- You can skip browning the meat if you are running low on time. You may need to skim off any excess fat towards the end of cooking.
Did you make this recipe?
We want to see! Tag @slowcookingperfected
on Instagram or use the hashtag #slowcookingperfected
so we can find you!