Back to Recipe Print Recipe
Slow Cooker Hawaiian Chicken Recipe
- Prep time 15 Minutes
- Cook time: 6 Hours
- Total time 6 Hours & 15 Minutes
- Serves 6
- 1 kg (2.2 lb) chicken thigh
- 1 onion, cut into chunks
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 tsp garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp ginger, crushed
- 500g (17 oz) can pineapple chunks (not drained)
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp ketchup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp water
- Place all the ingredients into the slow cooker except for the cornstarch and water.
- Cook on low for 6 hours.
- 15 minutes before you go to serve, mix the cornstarch with the water.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker. Pour the cornstarch paste into the slow cooker and mix in.
- Return the chicken to the slow cooker.
- Allow to cook for 15 minutes or until nice and thick.
- Serve & Enjoy.
- Skim the oil off the top of the sauce if there is an excess amount towards the end of cooking. It’s best to do this before you mix in the cornstarch to thicken the sauce.
- You can add more vegetables to this recipe. Alternatively, you can remove the vegetables that are currently in it, so you’re left with just chicken and pineapple.
- Tomato paste or sauce can be used instead of the ketchup. This alternative is the perfect replacement if you’re not a fan of store-bought ketchup.
- You can swap the chicken thigh for any cut of chicken such as chicken breast, drumsticks, and so on. For the best results, I recommend using chicken thigh.
- There are plenty more cooking tips for the slow cooker that might help improve your next meal. It’s amazing what a few tweaks can do to the result of a dish.
Did you make this recipe?
We want to see! Tag @slowcookingperfected
on Instagram or use the hashtag #slowcookingperfected
so we can find you!