This slow cooker whole chicken is an amazing meal that you can quickly get cooking so that it’s ready for when you go to have dinner.
Once the chicken is cooked, it will be deliciously moist and so tender that it will just melt in your mouth. Our spice rub will ensure that when you bite into this chicken, you’re greeted with flavor.
There is also a range of vegetables to go with the chicken. These will sit underneath the chicken so that they will cook in the juices. This method will help ensure that once they’re cooked, they are packed full of flavor.
One thing to be aware of is the skin will not crisp up in this recipe since we’re slow cooking it. If you do want crisp skin, then you try grilling the skin at the very end, but I would recommend avoiding doing this as you could end up with overcooked chicken.
When you cook a whole chicken in the slow cooker, all the juices will sit in the bottom. The vegetables we use help stop the chicken from sitting in its own fluid. If you don’t have the vegetables, then I recommend using a wire rack or tin foil balls.
Assuming you somehow you end up with leftovers, then the chicken goes amazing in a sandwich for lunch the next day. You could also use the leftover chicken in something like a butter chicken curry, buffalo chicken dip, or even in chicken ala king.
If you want to see how to do this recipe quickly, then be sure to check out my video I prepared below. It goes through all the steps to getting this dish prepared and ready for cooking.
Slow Cooker Whole Chicken Recipe
Can't see the video? Support us by disabling your adblocker.
- 3 stalks of celery cut into thirds
- 2 carrots, cut into chunks
- 4 potatoes, cut into chunks
- 1 onion, quartered
Chicken & Seasoning
- 4 tsp chicken salt (Stock powder should also work)
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp thyme
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 onion, halved
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 whole chicken
- In a bowl, combine the chicken salt, paprika, cayenne pepper & thyme.
- Lightly spray the slow cooker with oil.
- Place all the vegetables into the base of the slow cooker.
- Rub oil into the outside of the chicken.
- Rub the spice mix into the outside of the chicken. Add the garlic, and one onion into the cavity.
- Place on top of the vegetables in the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 8 hours
- Once done remove the chicken & vegetables from the slow cooker.
- Serve & Enjoy
- You can add a proper stuff mix to the inside of the chicken. Make sure you secure the opening, so it doesn’t pour out and onto the vegetables.
- If you’re finding it hard fitting your chicken inside the slow cooker, you can use poultry scissors to cut it in half.
- Assuming you’re not having vegetables but want to keep the chicken from sitting on the bottom of the slow cooker, then you can use some balls of foil to place underneath the chicken. A wire rack can also be used to keep the chicken from sitting on the bottom.
- You can add more different varieties of vegetables to this dish. Vegetables such as capsicums, sweet potato, leeks, mushrooms and much more will go amazingly in this dish.
- If you have the time, then you can coat the chicken in the spices and herbs and leave it to marinade overnight. This change will result in much more flavor, but it’s still amazing if you don’t do it.
If you’re curious about the impact this delicious chicken dish will have on your diet then you can find all the information you need below.
This information is only an estimate but will hopefully be good enough to give you a good idea of what you’re eating.
This roast chicken slow cooker style recipe is indeed one that will please. If you have multiple slow cookers and want dessert, then you should take a look at some my amazing slow cooker dessert recipes. They too are very easy prepare and get cooking in no time at all.
There are plenty of roast dishes that you can do in the slow cooker. For example, the Mississippi roast is an excellent dish that you should try out.
I hope this slow cooker whole chicken comes out to be as good as it did for me. If you have a variation of anything else that you would like to say, then please don’t hesitate to leave a comment below.
Note: I use a 5.5L (6 Quart) slow cooker for all the recipes that I have on this website unless specified. If you have a smaller or larger slow cooker, then you might need to adjust the ingredients.