The slow cooker Mississippi roast is one of the most raved about slow cooker recipes around. Although not everyone would agree it’s perfect, it’s indeed become a staple for some people’s diets.
There are a ton of sides that you’re able to do for this Mississippi roast. For example, some classic roast potatoes and a salad go well with this dish. If you have another slow cooker, then you should try something like the scalloped potatoes or even the cheesy hash brown casserole.
Make sure you keep any leftovers as it will make for some fantastic sandwich meat for lunch the next day. It will also reheat nicely, so it’s still perfect if you just want to have it with some leftover side dishes. Another slow cooker dish that produces amazing sandwich meat is the crack chicken, be careful as that too is incredibly addictive.
It’s up to you how you want to serve this dish, you can either shred it, or you can slice it. The only real difference is the texture of the finished product. Whatever you decide to do, make sure you serve the sauce with the beef.
If you want to see how to prepare this Mississippi roast, then be sure to check out the video below. It goes through the few steps needed to get this dish prepared and cooking.
Slow Cooker Mississippi Roast Recipe
8 Hours & 5 Minutes
- 1-2 kg (2-4 pounds) chuck beef roast
- 1 packet (30g/1 oz.) ranch dressing
- 1 packet (30g/1 oz.) au jus mix
- 4 Tbsp. (1/2 Stick) unsalted butter
- 5-10 pepperoncini peppers (No juice)
- Firstly, in a frypan over high heat, quickly brown all the sides of the beef. If you’re low on time, then you can skip this step.
- Add the beef roast to the slow cooker.
- Sprinkle the ranch dressing and au jus mix over the top of the beef. Add the butter and pepperoncini peppers.
- Cook on low for 7-8 hours.
- Remove the beef from the slow cooker and either slice or shred it.
- Serve with the sauce & Enjoy
- It’s important not to add water as this may detract from the overall dish. The beef along with the butter will produce enough liquid for this to not dry out and provide plenty of sauce to go with the finished meat.
- You can add vegetables in the same slow cooker, but for the best results, I would cook them in either a separate slow cooker, pot, or oven.
- If you don’t have any packet ranch dressing, then you can make it from scratch at home. Alternatively, you can find this for sale at pretty much any reasonable supermarket or at an online store like Amazon.
- You can replace the chuck beef with beef brisket or beef round. Any kind of roast beef should work just fine. Personally, I would try to stick to the cheaper fattier cuts of meat for this dish.
- Pepperoncini peppers can be difficult to get your hands on depending on where you live. You can usually easily find these online at stores such as Amazon, but if you’re in a country where Amazon doesn’t ship, then you might need to use an alternative. These you can usually replace with something like banana peppers. Jalapenos are a lot hotter so I would avoid using these.
- You can swap the au jus mix with onion soup mix or something similar. However, unlike the pepperoncini peppers, this should be available at pretty much any reasonable supermarket.
- You shouldn’t need to add any extra seasoning to this dish as the packet mixes should provide more than enough.
A few packet mixes and a chunk of beef is not going to be the best when it comes to nutritional information. If you need to know this information, then you can find it right below.
This information assumes the piece of beef you use weighs 1.5kg (3 lb). Also be sure to keep in mind this doesn’t include any vegetables or sides that you have with the dish.
There are a ton of other delicious “roasts” that you’re able to do in the slow cooker. One of my personal favorites is the seasoned whole chicken. It’s incredibly easy to make and comes out to be juicy and tender.
That’s all I have for this delicious slow cooker Mississippi roast. If you have anything you would like to add or a better variation, then please feel free to leave a comment below.
I use a 5.5L/6 Quart slow cooker for all the recipes that I have on this website unless specified. If you have a smaller or larger slow cooker then you might need to adjust the ingredients.
Get all our super delicious slow cooker recipes in our quality slow cooker cookbook.