This tasty slow cooker pepper steak cooks out to be packed with a ton of flavor and has simply amazing tender pieces of beef. It’s the perfect dinner dish that’s super easy to prepare and have cooking hours ahead of when you need it.
Pepper steak is traditionally a dish that is stir-fried but surprisingly works pretty well in the slow cooker. This version features sliced bell peppers, slices of beef and thick slices of onion. This combination is all cooked in a sauce that has soy, tomatoes, beef stock and a combination of other ingredients. To ensure the sauce is nice and thick we make use of some cornstarch.
You can serve this dish with a ton of different sides, but for me, white rice is what I usually decide to cook. Alternatively, you can try using something like noodles, roast potatoes, mashed potatoes, fresh bread and so much more. If you’re looking for another slow cooker dish to go with this, then be sure to check out the creamy scalloped potatoes.
The leftovers of this dish are well worth keeping. You can simply store them in the fridge or freezer. You can use the leftovers as lunch the next day or as part of another meal such as nachos or even as a filling for some tacos.
As I mention in the handy cooking tips at the bottom of this page, it’s best to use a tough cut of beef. This choice of meat is because we will be cooking the beef for a long time. The beef will come out nice and tender at the end of cooking. Tougher cuts of meat tend to be cheaper, so it’s a great way to save a bit of money.
If you like to see this recipe done from start to finish, then be sure to check out the video below. It takes you through all the steps to making this delicious dinner dish. If you prefer just to read then the full written recipe is right underneath the video.
Slow Cooker Pepper Steak Recipe
8 Hours & 30 Minutes
- 1kg (2 lb) beef, cut into strips
- 1 red bell pepper, thick slices
- 1 green bell pepper, thick slices
- 1 onion, chopped, thick slices
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- ¼ cup light soy sauce
- ½ tsp. ginger, minced
- 1 tsp. garlic, crushed
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 400g (14 oz.) crushed tomatoes
- 2 tsp. brown sugar
- ¼ cup boiling water
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp. water
- In a frypan over high heat, quickly brown the beef strips.
- In a small bowl, mix together the boiling water and the beef bouillon cube. Stir until completely dissolved.
- Next, in the slow cooker, add the beef, bell peppers, onion, beef bouillon mix, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, black pepper, crushed tomatoes, and the brown sugar, mix slightly together.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or until beef is deliciously tender.
- To thicken, mix the cornstarch and the water together until it forms a paste. Mix this into the slow cooker, cook for 15 minutes or until thickened.
- Serve & Enjoy
- Between the beef bouillon and the soy sauce, you should have more than enough salt in this dish. With that said you might find the need to adjust the seasoning at the end of cooking.
- As with any beef dish for the slow cooker I highly recommend using a tough cut of meat for the best results as we will be cooking it for a long time.
- If you like your bell peppers to be slightly crisp, then don’t add them at the start of cooking. At about, the 4-5 hour mark should be an excellent time to add them.
- Browning the meat can be skipped if you’re running low on time or you don’t have access to anything that you can use to brown meat. (eg. a usable stove)
One thing you might be wondering is what the nutritional information of this tasty slow cooker pepper steak recipe is. If this is the case, then you can find all the information you need right below.
Please keep in mind this information is estimated and doesn’t take into account any extras such as rice.
If you like this dish and will love to try out more beef recipes in the slow cooker, then you should certainly try out the Mongolian beef. It’s super easy, and the beef comes out to be so tender it just melts in the mouth. The sauce is slightly sweet and again is just so damn good.
I really that you like my recipe for slow cooker pepper steak. If you have some feedback, tips, variations or anything else that you would like to say, then please feel free to leave a comment at the bottom of this page.
Note: I use a 5.5L (6 Quart) slow cooker for all the recipes that I have on this website unless specified. If you have a smaller or larger slow cooker, then you might need to adjust the ingredients.