This slow cooker hash brown casserole is one of the easiest cheesiest potato dishes ever. If you love cheese and potato, then you’re going to love eating this dish!
You will find that this dish is best as a side, but can still be eaten just by itself. Personally, I love having this for breakfast with some bacon & eggs. It also makes for a great side dish to roast pork, slow cooker whole chicken or something similar.
This dish is incredibly heavy but addictive at the same time. It is a meal to avoid if you’re on a diet or looking for a healthy meal. On the flip-side, you’re just looking for something that is packed full of flavor and not worried about a few extra carbs then you’re in for a treat.
This dish also reheats surprisingly well (Might split slightly) so if you end up with leftovers simply keep in the fridge and reheat whenever you need a quick & easy meal. I should mention that it probably won’t freeze very well, so I suggest to avoid freezing it.
If you want to see how to put this together, then be sure to check the video below. It goes through all the steps to getting this delicious hash brown casserole prepared and cooking. If you’re just after a text version of the recipe, then you can find it right below the video.
Slow Cooker Hash Brown Casserole Recipe
4 Hours & 10 Minutes
- 420g (15 oz.) cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups sour cream
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1kg (32 oz.) hash browns (patties or shredded)
- Salt & Pepper
- In a bowl, mix the sour cream, cheese, cream of chicken, salt & pepper together.
- Lightly spray the slow cooker/crock pot.
- Add the hash browns then pour over our cheese mix.
- Cook on low for about 4 hours.
- Serve & Enjoy
- You can use either shredded or patty hash browns in this recipe. There is very little difference between the two by the time you’re finished cooking.
- Chopped chives go incredibly well with this dish. You can mix the chopped chives in the cream & cheese mix or just sprinkle them over the top once you’re ready to serve.
- If you want to go one bit further, you can add some bacon, sausage or even shredded chicken to the dish. Add these to your cheese mix for the best flavorsome outcome.
- I used regular full fat sour cream in this recipe but haven’t tried using low fat so you may find it comes out slightly different with low-fat sour cream.
- Personally, I wouldn’t cook this for any longer than the 4 hours otherwise you may find it will dry out or the cheese may curdle and become a bit unappetizing.
All the nutritional information that you might want to know about this cheesy hash brown casserole is right below. Keep in mind this information was calculated using an online tool so it may not be 100% accurate.
There are so many more hash brown recipes that you’re able to do in the slow cooker. I will be taking a look at more in the very near future. Expect recipes like a slow cooker breakfast casserole and so much more.
I hope you enjoy this slow cooker hash brown casserole! If you have a variation, feedback or anything else that you would like to say, then please feel free to leave a comment below.
I use a 5.5L/6 Quart slow cooker for all the recipes that I have on this website unless specified. If you have a smaller or larger slow cooker then you might need to adjust the ingredients.
Get all our super delicious slow cooker recipes in our quality slow cooker cookbook.