I love this slow cooker Tater Tot casserole as it’s an incredibly cheesy dish that’s packed with flavor. It’s well worth trying out.
This tater tot casserole has ground beef, cheese, crispy bacon, bell peppers, and a taco seasoning mix. It’s an excellent combination of ingredients that results in a casserole that’s packed full of flavor. It’s bound to be a hit with your friends, family, or just yourself.
If you didn’t already know, Tater Tot is a potato dish made from grated potatoes and have a cylindrical shape. You can find these in the frozen aisle at your local supermarket. You may also find them under different names such as here in Australia we call them potato gems.
This cheesy casserole is the perfect dish for any time of the day. However, one downside to this dish is that the cooking time is not ideal for breakfast unless you only sleep for four to six hours.
Apart from being one of the best comfort food recipes that you can make in your slow cooker, it is also great if you need to feed a crowd. A single batch of this casserole should feed roughly eight people.
Make sure you keep the leftovers as they will reheat the next day nicely. Just make sure you keep the leftovers covered in the fridge until you need them. Simply heat in either an oven or the microwave.
You don’t need to have side dishes or extras with this casserole as it’s perfect on its own. However, if you want something extra to go with it, then some sour cream and homemade guacamole go perfectly on top.
If you want to see how to make this tater tot casserole in the slow cooker, then be sure to check out the video below. Alternatively, the full written recipe can be found right below the video.
Slow Cooker Tater Tot Casserole
- 1kg (2 lb) frozen tater tots
- 500g (1 lb) ground beef
- 250g (9 oz) bacon, roughly chopped
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
- 1 packet taco seasoning (30g/1 oz)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (or your favorite type)
- Firstly, in a pan over high heat, fry the bacon until it’s crispy. Once crispy, put to the side.
- In the same pan, fry the ground beef until browned, once browned, drain and put to the side.
- In the slow cooker, add all the ingredients and mix.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- Serve & Enjoy
- You don’t have to use crispy bacon, but it certainly does help add to the texture and taste of the dish.
- If you love the taste of taco seasoning, then you can double the amount used in this recipe. It should still be fine and not too salty.
- You’re able to use a different type of cheese if you’re not a huge fan of cheddar.
- I highly recommend that you pre-cook the ground beef for this dish to help avoid it becoming too soupy. The bacon can be added uncooked but keep in mind it won’t crisp up in the slow cooker.
- If you can’t get your hands on some packet taco seasoning, then you can always make taco seasoning from scratch. All you need is a few key spices in your cupboard.
- You can add even more cheese if you can never get enough of it. Simply scatter another cup over the top of the casserole.
- The ground beef can easily be swapped for something else such as ground turkey, shredded buffalo chicken, or even ground pork.
You may want to skip this part as potato, bacon, cheese, and ground beef is probably not going to be the best for you. Anyhow if you’re after the nutritional information for this slow cooker Tater Tot casserole, then you can find it below.
This information is calculated using an online tool so it may not be 100% accurate.
There is a vast amount of variations that you’re able to do on this dish. For example, you could use chicken instead of ground beef and so much more. If you have any variations that you would like to share, then please be sure to leave a comment below.
If you loved this Tater tot casserole, then you might also be interested in something like a cheesy hash brown casserole. It’s incredibly delicious and will fill you up fast.
There are plenty more casserole recipes that you can do in the slow cooker. If you’re looking for a recipe that’s rich and creamy, then you have got to try the sausage and potato casserole. It’s deliciously creamy and has a fantastic range of rich flavors.
I hope that you enjoy this incredible slow cooker Tater tot casserole. If you have any feedback, tips, or anything else that you want to share, then please don’t hesitate to leave a comment below.
Note: I use a 5.5L (6 Quart) slow cooker for all the recipes that I have on this website unless specified. If you have a smaller or larger slow cooker, then you might need to adjust the ingredients.