Layered slow cooker chicken enchiladas is not only tasty but also surprisingly easy to make.
This dish cooks out to have delicious layers of shredded chicken, bell pepper, and onion. This mix is all coated in a generous amount of enchilada sauce, taco seasoning, and cheddar cheese. The result is an enchilada stack that will have you going back for seconds.
To get the best results for enchiladas in the slow cooker, we will need to make a stack rather than the traditional roll. The stacking method will help ensure that it cooks evenly and can be easily removed and eaten.
In this recipe, I use shredded leftover roast chicken. I highly recommend that you either pre-cook some chicken and shred or dice it. Raw chicken may add too much liquid to the dish and make your layered chicken enchiladas go soggy.
There is a ton of extras that you can have with this dish. Basically, any Mexican styled extras such as guacamole, salsa, refried beans or sour cream will all work very well.
This dish is pretty straightforward to make as you can see by watching the video below. If you want an actual written recipe, then you can find one right underneath the video.
Layered Slow Cooker Chicken Enchiladas Recipe
- 500g (17.5 oz.) shredded chicken
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 packet 30g (1 oz.) taco seasoning
- 375g (13 oz.) enchilada sauce
- 10 corn tortillas
- 4 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- Lightly spray a slow cooker with oil. Add about 2 Tbsp. of enchilada sauce with 1 Tbsp. water to the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Add 2 tortillas on top of the sauce. Now layer as followed: ~125g (4.5 oz.) shredded chicken, 1/4 red onion, 1/4 red bell pepper, ~2 tsp. of taco seasoning, ~ 2 Tbsp. enchilada sauce, 1 cup cheese, 2 tortillas and repeat until you run out of chicken or tortillas. Finish with 2 tortillas on the top and top with any remaining salsa and cheese. You should get 3-4 layers in total depending on the slow cooker size.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- Allow to stand for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve & Enjoy
- Feel free to add more cheese if you absolutely love it. The more cheese, the better!
- If you don’t have a round slow cooker, then you can tear the tortillas so that they will layer properly.
- Don’t forget that you can make taco seasoning at home with just some regular household spices and herbs. The best thing is that you can alter the ingredients to suit your taste buds better.
- You can use just one tortilla per layer, but I have found using two really helps reduce the chicken enchilada stack from becoming soggy.
If you need to know how much these tasty slow cooker chicken enchiladas might impact your diet, then you can find all the information you need right below. As I usually mention, this information is only an estimate and may differ depending on a variety of different issues.
Chicken is my personal favorite, but you can make this with different types of meats and other ingredients. If you want something, a little different then be sure to give the beef enchiladas a go. It’s just as tasty as this dish but requires a few extra steps.
I hope that you love this layered slow cooker chicken enchiladas as much as I did. If you have some of your own thoughts on it, then be sure to let me know by leaving a comment below.
Note: I use a 5.5L (6 Quart) slow cooker for all the recipes that I have on this website unless specified. If you have a smaller or larger slow cooker, then you might need to adjust the ingredients.