These slow cooker chicken fajitas are the perfect way to finish off a busy day. They’re incredibly easy to get prepared, and you can get it cooking hours ahead of when you need it.
The extras that you put in the tortillas is up to you. In fact, you don’t need to add any kind of extra but instead just have the chicken filling. Personally, I love having it with some baby spinach, sour cream, and shredded cheese. There are a ton of combinations that you’re able to do! If you have a certain combination that you would love to share then don’t hesitate to leave a comment below.
One thing that you need to be aware of is that this dish will produce a fair bit of liquid. When you serve the fajita chicken filling make sure you drain some of the excess liquid, otherwise your tortilla might become a bit soggy.
Cooking fajitas in the slow cooker is far from the traditional style of cooking this dish. Usually, you will fry or grill the meat along with some vegetables. Instead we will be slow cooking the ingredients for a long time, but the result is still an incredible flavor-packed chicken and veg mix.
You can use the slow cooker chicken fajita mix in a range of different dishes and not just as a filling with tortillas. For example, this mix will go great as a topping on nachos or even as a topping on pizza.
This dish is packed full of flavor and is fantastic when you need to feed a crowd. You can easily bulk this out as much as you want. Just make sure your slow cooker is big enough to fit all the ingredients.
If you want to see how to make these chicken fajitas, then be sure to check out the video below. The video goes through all the steps to making the filling, but the assembling of the tortilla is entirely up to you.
Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas Recipe
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 tsp. garlic, crushed
- 2 red or green bell peppers, sliced
- 500g (1 lb) chicken thighs
- ½ cup salsa
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 packet Fajita mix (30g/1 oz.)
- Baby spinach
- Sour cream
- Shredded cheese
- In a slow cooker, add the chicken thighs and sprinkle ½ the fajita mix on top.
- Add the onion, garlic, bell peppers, salsa, lime juice and the rest of the fajita mix.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
- Shred the chicken and then mix with the rest of the ingredients.
- Serve & Enjoy
- You can easily swap the chicken thigh out for breast. Both types of meat will work just fine.
- Much like taco seasoning, you can also make a fajita mix right at home.
- You don’t have to use fresh lime juice, if you’re using it out of a bottle you will need about 2 Tbsp. of juice.
- You can use any type of salsa in this recipe. Personally, I prefer a spicier salsa but keep in mind that the fajita spice mix will also add a bit of heat to the dish.
If you’re curious about how much these delicious slow cooker fajitas will impact your diet, then you can find all the information you need below.
This information is only an estimate and was calculated using an online tool. It also doesn’t consider any extras that you have with the fajita mix, such as the spinach, tortillas, sour cream and so on.
If you’re not feeling like fajitas, then there is a ton of other dishes that you can cook up in the slow cooker. If you’re feeling like some chicken, then there are a ton of other slow cooker chicken recipes that you should check out.
I hope that you do enjoy these slow cooker chicken fajitas and that you don’t run into any problems. If you have some variations, feedback, or anything else, then please feel free to leave me a comment below.
Note: I use a 5.5L (6 Quart) slow cooker for all the recipes that I have on this website unless specified. If you have a smaller or larger slow cooker, then you might need to adjust the ingredients.