Back to Recipe Print Recipe
Slow Cooker Chicken Enchiladas Recipe
- Prep time: 15 Minutes
- Cook time: 4 Hours
- Total time: 4 Hours & 15 Minutes
- Serves: 4-6
- 500 g (1.1 lb) shredded chicken
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 packet 30g taco seasoning
- 375 g (13.2 oz) enchilada sauce
- 10 corn tortillas
- 4 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- Lightly spray a slow cooker with oil. Add about 2 Tbsp of enchilada sauce with 1 Tbsp water to the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Add 2 tortillas on top of the sauce.
- Now layer as followed: ~125g (4.5 oz) shredded chicken, 1/4 red onion, 1/4 red bell pepper, ~2 tsp of taco seasoning, ~ 2 Tbsp enchilada sauce, 1 cup cheese, 2 tortillas, and repeat until you run out of chicken or tortillas.
- Finish with 2 tortillas on the top and finish with any remaining enchilada sauce and cheese. You should get 3-4 layers in total, depending on the slow cooker size.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- Allow to stand for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve & Enjoy.
- Feel free to add more cheese if you absolutely love it. The more cheese, the better!
- If you do not have a round slow cooker, then you can tear the tortillas so that they will layer properly.
- Do not forget that you can make taco seasoning at home with just some regular household spices and herbs. The best thing is that you can alter the ingredients to suit your taste buds better.
- You can use just one tortilla per layer, but I have found using two really helps reduce the chicken enchilada stack from becoming soggy.
- Wheat tortillas work just as well as corn tortillas, so feel to use the one that you like best.
Did you make this recipe?
We want to see! Tag @slowcookingperfected
on Instagram or use the hashtag #slowcookingperfected
so we can find you!