This slow cooker beef bourguignon is a stew that’s got an incredible aroma and even better flavors. It’s super easy to prepare and get cooking, and it will please anyone who loves a good beef stew.
This stew is best cooked for a long time so if you need a dish sooner than 8 hours you might want to take a look at some other slow cooker recipes that require less time. You can try cooking this on high, but the beef might not come out to be as tender and delicious.
It’s best to use a tough cut of beef whenever it comes to slow cooking as it will eventually cook out to be tender and packed full of flavor. The best part of using a tough cut of beef is that it’s often a lot cheaper and more flavorsome.
There are so many sides that work well with a good beef bourguignon. For me, I prefer it on its own, but something like potato mash or rice goes well with the dish. Even some fresh bread on the side is great as something to dip into the flavor-packed rich sauce.
I would recommend using a cheaper wine for this dish as you don’t gain much from using an expensive one. A lot of the flavor of the wine will be hidden by the beef, vegetables, and other ingredients that we add.
This dish is perfect if you’re looking for food to cook up and freeze for later. Just store in serving size containers so you can quickly reheat later. It makes for a super easy lunch or a nice and quick dinner. It will also last a few days in the fridge so make sure you don’t throw out any leftovers.
If you want to see how to do this recipe, then be sure to check out the video below, it will take you through step by step to making this delicious beef bourguignon. Alternatively, you can find the full written recipe right below the video.
Slow Cooker Beef Bourguignon Recipe
8 Hours & 15 Minutes
8 Hours & 30 Minutes
- 1 kg (2 lb) chuck Beef or similar, cubed
- 6 rashers bacon, diced
- 5 shallots, peeled & halved
- 2 tsp. garlic, crushed
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 300g (10.5 oz.) mushrooms
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp. fresh parsley, diced
- 2 cups red wine
- 2 cups beef stock
- Firstly, fry the bacon in a frypan over medium heat until it’s crispy. Once it is crispy, put to the side.
- Next sear the beef over high heat.
- Once the beef is browned, remove from the pan and add the red wine. Scrape the bottom of the pan as the wine simmers, this is called deglazing. After 2-3 minutes transfer the red wine to a slow cooker.
- Add the beef to the slow cooker and add the rest of the ingredients, mix together.
- Cook on low for 8-12 hours.
- Season with salt & pepper.
- Serve & Enjoy.
- You don’t have to seal the beef in the frypan, but I highly recommend doing it if you have the time.
- By deglazing the pan with the red wine, you help get even more flavor into the dish while reducing the acidity of the wine.
- This recipe can be bulked out by adding some potatoes. If you have large potatoes, make sure you cut them into quarters. If you leave them whole, they might not cook entirely and be both hard to eat and not very appetizing.
If you’re curious about how much of an impact this delicious stew will have on your diet, then be sure to check out the nutritional information below. I made use of an online tool to help calculate this information so it may not be entirely accurate but should still be decent enough to tell if this is for you or not.
There are so many different beef stews that you can do in the slow cooker that isn’t beef bourguignon. One of my favorites is a Hungarian inspired slow cooker goulash. It too is packed full of flavor with its delicious blend of spices.
I hope that you enjoy this incredible slow cooker beef bourguignon recipe and that it was easy enough to prepare and get cooking. If you have any feedback, variations or anything else that you would like to say, then please don’t hesitate to leave a comment below.
I use a 5.5L/6 Quart slow cooker for all the recipes that I have on this website unless specified. If you have a smaller or larger slow cooker then you might need to adjust the ingredients.
Get all our super delicious slow cooker recipes in our quality slow cooker cookbook.