If you’re looking for a simple slow cooker steak pie filling, then you don’t need to look any further.
This easy slow cooker recipe doesn’t require much prep, but the end result is amazing.
This pie filling is quite simple, but the flavors will leave you wanting seconds. A simple combination of herbs, Worcestershire sauce, and beef stock creates a rich, deep gravy sauce. This sauce compliments the tender beef quite well and will leave you very satisfied.
As with any great pie, this dish doesn’t really require any sides. With that said, a good salad, baby potatoes, mashed potato, or a side of potato chips goes surprisingly well with this beef pie. Excellent, if you need to feed a crowd.
A great way to make pies fast and easy is to use a pie maker. These typically can make two pies at a time, but you can buy larger ones that can make four. The result is a golden pastry and a hot filling.
In the video below, I show you all the steps to making this delicious steak pie filling. Perfect if you love to see how to do things visually. Alternatively, you can find the full written recipe right below.
Slow Cooker Steak Pie Recipe
8 Hours & 30 Minutes
8 Hours & 45 Minutes
- 1kg (2.2 lb) chuck beef, cubed
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 tsp garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 Tbsp dried parsley
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 500ml (16.9 fl oz) beef stock
- Puff Pastry sheets
- Egg beaten
- 4 Tbsp. cornstarch
- ¼ cup water
- In a frying pan over high heat, brown the chuck beef in batches. Once browned, place to the side.
- In a slow cooker, add the beef, onions, garlic, thyme, parsley, Worcestershire sauce, and the beef stock.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or until the beef is tender.
- Mix the cornstarch and water until it forms a paste. Mix into the slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 15 minutes or until thickened.
- Season with salt and pepper and turn off the heat.
- Add the steak pie filling to some prepared pie tins. Cover with puff pastry and brush with the egg wash.
- Bake in an oven at 200°C (390 °F) until golden brown.
- Serve & Enjoy
- A cheap cut of beef is ideal as we will be cooking this steak pie filling for a long time in the slow cooker. By the time the dish is ready, the beef will be incredibly tender and packed full of flavor.
- You can add some vegetables to the beef mixture if you want to add a bit more flavor and nutrition to the slow cooker pie filling. Carrots, peas, celery are all great additions to this lovely slow cooker steak pie.
The nutritional information for this delicious steak pie is right below. Please keep in mind that the information is only an estimate since I made use of an online tool to calculate it.
Another thing I should mention is that the nutrition information is for the pie filling only and doesn't take into account a pastry crust. So, don't forget to add this to the values as well.
There are many other slow cooker beef dishes that you can make. You can always try using something like the satay beef as a pie filling. It’s bound to be delicious but make sure you thicken it so that it will sit in a pie case nicely.
Another slow cooker pie filling that you need to try is the flavor-packed beef and mushroom. It’s as good as it sounds and has a lovely rich gravy.
This slow cooker steak pie filling is absolutely delicious and surprisingly easy to make. I hope that you enjoy it as much as I did. If you have some feedback, tips or anything else that you would like to say, then please don’t hesitate to leave a comment below.
Note: I use a 5.5L (6 Quart) slow cooker for all the recipes that I have on this website unless specified. If you have a smaller or larger slow cooker, then you might need to adjust the ingredients.