A slow cooker is a perfect way of cooking a pie filling, and this slow cooker beef and Guinness pie is no exception.
This pie’s gravy has a rich Guinness flavor to it and will please anyone who is a massive fan of the beer. The beef cooks to be incredibly tender and will melt in your mouth. It’s a fantastic combination of flavors that will leave you wanting seconds.
A side of chips and a nice cold Guinness goes excellent with this delicious pie. With that said, there is a ton of other sides that will also go great with this pie, even something like creamy scalloped potatoes.
This recipe is a pie filling, but that doesn’t mean you can’t eat it on its own. It is delicious as a nice warm stew with a side of freshly baked bread.
You can prepare this slow cooker beef and Guinness pie filling a day ahead of when you need it. To ensure your pies turn out the best, I recommend storing the pie filling separate to the pie cases. Simply fill the pie cases on the day you need to bake them.
A quick and easy way to make pies is to use a pie maker. These appliances are pretty straightforward and ensure your pie is crispy on the outside and hot on the inside. They can easily be stored away whenever you’re not using it.
If you love to see how to make things visually, then be sure to check out the video below. Alternatively, you can find our full written recipe right underneath the video. If you do love the video, then be sure to subscribe to us on YouTube to stay up to date.
Slow Cooker Beef and Guinness Pie Recipe
8 Hours & 20 Minutes
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 1kg (2.2 lb) chuck steak, cubed
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 Tbsp. garlic, crushed
- 1 carrot, diced
- 400ml (13.5 fl oz) Guinness
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 sheets puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- In a bowl, mix the cornstarch, salt, and pepper. Add the beef and gently toss.
- In a frypan over medium heat, add 1 Tbsp. oil. Once hot, add the beef and cook until browned (Approx. 5 minutes.)
- In the slow cooker, add the beef, onion, garlic, carrot, Guinness, bay leaves, and beef stock.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours
- Remove the bay leaves.
- Add the pie filling to prepared pie tins. Cover with puff pastry, lightly brush with an egg wash.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 200°C (390°F) or until golden brown.
- Serve & Enjoy
- There is a lot of changes that you can make to this pie recipe. For example, pieces of bacon or even potato will go great in the pie filling. It’s completely up to you but keep in mind that some changes might radically change the outcome of the dish.
- You may need to thicken this filling further. To thicken, mix one tablespoon of cornstarch with two tablespoons of water. Once combined, pour and mix into the pie filling.
- The longer you cook this dish; the more tender the meat will be. If you cook it for long enough, the beef will fall to bits. Some people desire this texture, but you may not like it.
The nutritional information for this pie can be found right below. It’s important to note that the information was calculated using an online tool, so it may not be one hundred percent accurate. With that said, it will suffice if you’re just curious if this is ok for you to eat.
Also, don't forget to add any extras such a side of sweet potato fries to the values below.
If you’re looking for more slow cooker pie fillings, then be sure to check out other recipes such as a chicken pot pie. It’s creamy, delicious and is worth trying if you love a good pie.
All the extra work for a good homemade pie is totally worth it. Another great pie is a simple beef and mushroom. There is a huge range of fillings that you can make in the slow cooker.
I love this slow cooker beef and Guinness pie recipe, and I hope that you do too. If you have any feedback, tips or anything else regarding this delicious pie filling, then be sure to leave a comment below.
I use a 5.5L/6 Quart slow cooker for all the recipes that I have on this website unless specified. If you have a smaller or larger slow cooker then you might need to adjust the ingredients.
Get all our super delicious slow cooker recipes in our quality slow cooker cookbook.