This slow cooker beef and mushroom pie is an absolute delight and will please any pie lover. By the time it’s finished cooking you’re left with a rich beef pie filling ready to use in your favorite pie casing.
There are many extras that you might want to have with this delicious pie. Something like a cauliflower cheese will work incredibly well, but nothing beats a side of potato chips and a green salad.
You can prepare this pie filling ahead of when you need it. For example, you can make the pie filling the day before and then simply scoop into the pies cases when you need it. Simply bake until the pastry is golden brown, and the pie filling is hot.
Cooking this pie filling in the slow cooker will make this recipe incredibly easy and ensure the beef is deliciously tender by the time it is ready for the pie cases.
The video right below will take you through all the steps to making this delicious slow cooker recipe. If you prefer written, then be sure to check out the full written recipe right under the video.
Slow Cooker Beef and Mushroom Pie Recipe
8 Hours & 15 Minutes
8 Hours & 30 Minutes
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 1kg (2.2 lb.) chuck beef (Stewing Meat)
- 2 onions diced
- 1 Tbsp. garlic crushed
- 2 carrots diced
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 500g (1 lb.) mushrooms, sliced
- 500ml (17 fl oz.) beef stock
- 100ml (3.4 fl oz.) red wine
- Sheets of puff pastry
- Egg, beaten
- In a bowl, add the cornstarch, salt, pepper. Toss the beef through until well coated.
- In a frypan over medium heat, add 1 Tbsp of oil.
- Once hot, add the beef and cook until browned. Put to the side.
- Add the red wine and deglaze the pan.
- Transfer the wine and beef to a slow cooker. Add the rest of the pie filling ingredients.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or until the beef is tender.
- Remove the bay leaves.
- Thicken the pie filling, if required.
- Add the beef and mushroom pie filling to some prepared pie tins or a pie maker. Cover with puff pastry and brush with the egg wash.
- Bake in an oven at 200°C (390°F) until golden brown.
- Serve & Enjoy
- To make life easier when it comes to making the pie, you should take a look at a pie maker. They're super easy to use, but the downside is they can only do two to four pies at a time.
- I recommend using a cheap cut of meat such as chuck beef. This choice in beef will keep costs down and ensure your pie filling turns out as flavorsome as possible.
- You may need to thicken this slow cooker beef and mushroom pie filling with a mixture of cornstarch and water. Roughly two tablespoons of cornstarch mixed with a little bit of water should be more than enough.
- I made use of button mushrooms for this recipe but feel free to experiment with different types of mushrooms. They could radically change the dish so keep this in mind for when you're choosing a mushroom variety.
The nutritional information for this tasty slow cooker beef and mushroom pie filling is right below. Make sure you add any additions such as chips or a different sort of pastry onto these values.
As always, this information is only an estimate and may not be entirely correct. With that said, it should still be accurate enough to decide if this pie filling is for you.
There are many kinds of pie fillings that you can do in the slow cooker. If you love a good beef pie, then you might want to check out the beef and Guinness pie. It’s perfect for anyone who is a huge fan of Guinness.
I hope that this recipe has been able to show you how to make an incredible slow cooker beef and mushroom pie. If you have any thoughts, tips feedback or something else that you want to say, then please don’t hesitate to leave a comment below.
Note: I use a 5.5L (6 Quart) slow cooker for all the recipes that I have on this website unless specified. If you have a smaller or larger slow cooker, then you might need to adjust the ingredients.