Back to Recipe Print Recipe
Slow Cooker Beef and Mushroom Pie Recipe
- Prep time: 15 Minutes
- Cook time: 8 Hours & 15 Minutes
- Total time: 8 Hours & 30 Minutes
- Serves: 6
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 kg (2.2 lb) chuck beef (Stewing Meat)
- 2 onions, diced
- 1 Tbsp garlic, crushed
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 tsp thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 500 g (1.1 lb) mushrooms, sliced
- 500 ml (16.9 fl oz) beef stock
- 100 ml (3.4 fl oz) red wine
- Sheets of puff pastry
- Egg, beaten
- In a bowl, combine the cornstarch, salt, and pepper.
- Toss the beef in the flour until well coated.
- In a frypan over medium heat, add 1 Tbsp of oil.
- Once hot, add the beef and cook until browned. Put to the side.
- Add the red wine and deglaze the pan.
- Transfer the wine and beef to a slow cooker. Add the rest of the pie filling ingredients.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or until the beef is tender.
- Remove the bay leaves.
- Thicken the pie filling, if required.
- Add the beef and mushroom pie filling to some prepared pie tins or a pie maker. Cover with puff pastry and brush with the egg wash.
- Bake in an oven at 200°C (390°F) until golden brown.
- Serve & Enjoy.
- I recommend using a cheap cut of meat, such as chuck beef. This choice in beef will keep costs down and ensure your pie filling turns out as flavorsome as possible.
- You may need to thicken this slow cooker beef and mushroom pie filling with a mixture of cornstarch and water. Roughly two tablespoons of cornstarch mixed with a little bit of water should be more than enough.
- I made use of button mushrooms for this recipe, but feel free to experiment with different types of mushrooms. They can radically change the dish, so keep this in mind when choosing a mushroom variety.
Did you make this recipe?
We want to see! Tag @slowcookingperfected
on Instagram or use the hashtag #slowcookingperfected
so we can find you!