This recipe is a delicious slow cooker lamb Rogan josh that’s packed with flavor and has a nice amount of heat to it. This dish has a homemade curry paste made from a great selection of spices such as cardamom, cumin, cloves, turmeric and much more.
As with any curry it’s best served with some nice white rice and with some papadums or naan on the side. If you’re a bit sick of rice, then you can try something else like cauliflower rice, potato mash or even just enjoy the curry without any extras.
The leftovers will reheat nicely so make sure you keep them. Just store them in the fridge and heat in the microwave or over the stove when needed. It should last a few days before needing to be discarded. You can also freeze the curry making it perfect if you’re looking to cook a significant amount. Perfect if you love having some frozen home-cooked meals ready to reheat.
As with most curries, I make I use a homemade curry paste, but for some, this may be too much work, especially if time is limited. If this is the case with you, then you can swap out all the spices for a store bought curry sauce such as the Pataks rogan josh.
If you want to see how this lamb Rogan josh is prepared and cooked, then be sure to check out the video above. It’s short, straight to the point and perfect for anyone who loves to see things done visually.
Slow Cooker Lamb Rogan Josh Recipe
6 Hours & 15 Minutes
- 1 kg (2 lb) leg of lamb, cubed
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 Tbsp. ginger, crushed
- 3 tsp. garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp. chili paste or powder
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp. coriander, ground
- 2 tsp. cumin, ground
- 2 tsp. cardamom, ground
- 1/2 tsp. cloves, ground
- 1 tsp. turmeric, ground
- 1 tsp. garam masala
- 400g (14 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup plain yogurt or greek yogurt (to serve)
- In a pan over high heat, add the lamb and cook until slightly browned, once browned put to the side.
- In the same pan, add 1 Tbsp. oil, onion, garlic and ginger and cook until onion is translucent.
- Next, add the chili paste, tomato paste, coriander, cumin, cardamom, cloves, turmeric, garam masala and cook until fragrant.
- Add the curry paste, lamb, and the crushed tomatoes to the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or 4 hours on high.
- Season to taste.
- Serve & Enjoy
- You can bulk out this slow cooker lamb rogan josh recipe by adding some cubed potatoes, carrots or even some lentils. It’s up to you, but keep in mind it might change the overall texture and taste of the curry.
- Mixing the yogurt straight into the hot curry can cause the yogurt to split and not combine correctly. Heating the yogurt will help reduce the chance of it splitting.
- You’re able to skip the browning of the meat, the cooking of the curry paste and just throw everything into the slow cooker. However, you may find the curry will not turn out nearly as good and be missing that extra boost in flavor.
If you need some information on how this dish may impact your diet, then you can find all you need to know below. I have worked this information out by using an online calculator so it may not be 100% accurate but should be good enough to work out if this is an ok curry for you.
There are so many different types of curries that you’re able to do in the slow cooker. I have been slowly building up an excellent collection of great curries such as the delicious butter chicken curry.
If you have tried this slow cooker lamb rogan josh and would love to share your thoughts on it, then please don’t hesitate to leave a comment below. Also, don’t hesitate to leave any feedback or variations that you made on it.
I use a 5.5L/6 Quart slow cooker for all the recipes that I have on this website unless specified. If you have a smaller or larger slow cooker then you might need to adjust the ingredients.
Get all our super delicious slow cooker recipes in our quality slow cooker cookbook.