If you have never tried slow cooker creamy Chinese cabbage now is the time as this dish will amaze with how much flavor it has.
The sauce is deliciously creamy and packed with flavor. The cabbage cooks to be so tender it’s hard to stop eating. Lastly, the little bits of crispy bacon helps finish this dish.
Like a lot of slow cooker recipes you can enjoy this dish as a full meal. Alternatively, this dish is fantastic as a side dish. Some dumplings or dim sim go amazing with this delicious slow cooker recipe.
Traditionally this dish is stir fried and not slow cooked. One thing I love about the slow cooker version of this dish is that you can use the majority of the cabbage as the long cooking time will make even the stems tender.
The leftovers of the creamy Chinese cabbage are worth keeping as they will heat the next day nicely. It’s a great meal to have for lunch either at home or at work. Just a quick zap in the microwave will leave you with a delicious hot meal.
The video below will take you through all the steps on how to quickly prepare this dish and have it slow cooking, so it’s ready when you need it. If you prefer a written recipe, then you can find that right under the video.
Slow Cooker Chinese Creamy Cabbage Recipe
8 Hours & 15 Minutes
8 Hours & 30 Minutes
- 1 bunch of Chinese cabbage, cut into 5cm (2 in) strips
- 1 onion, sliced
- ½ cup evaporated milk
- 2 chicken stock cubes, crushed
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 100g (3.5 oz) crispy bacon
- In a slow cooker place the Chinese cabbage, onion, evaporated milk, and the crushed chicken stock cubes.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Mix together the cornstarch with the 2 Tbsp. of heavy cream. Mix into the slow cooker with the rest of the heavy cream.
- Cook on high for 15 minutes or until thickened.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Top with crispy bacon.
- Serve & Enjoy
- You can easily swap the bacon out for ham or any type of cold meat. For example, some shredded taco chicken will go well with it. However, I find bacon is the best.
- Evaporated milk is essential if you don’t want the liquid to split. With that said, once we add the cornstarch and cream, you will not notice if the liquid had split.
- I made use of chicken stock, but a beef stock will work just as well.
- The cornstarch is important as it helps thicken the sauce, so it coats the cabbage nicely. You can leave this out, but you will be left with a dish that is very soupy.
If you’re after the nutritional information for this delicious slow cooker creamy Chinese cabbage, then you can find it right below.
Don’t forget to add any extras that you might have with this dish.
If you love Chinese inspired dishes, then you should also check out the lion’s head meatballs. They’re delicious meatballs that cook in a flavor-packed beef and soy broth. There is also a generous amount of cabbage that goes great with the oversized meatballs.
There is nothing better than this slow cooker creamy cabbage on a cold night. I hope that you enjoy this dish as much as I did. If you have any thoughts, tips or anything else, then please don’t hesitate to leave a comment below.
Note: I use a 5.5L (6 Quart) slow cooker for all the recipes that I have on this website unless specified. If you have a smaller or larger slow cooker, then you might need to adjust the ingredients.