This easy slow cooker French onion chicken is an excellent hearty dish that is packed full of flavor.
The steps to making this dish are super easy as you simply throw all the ingredients into the slow cooker and wait. The flavors from the tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, chicken stock, and French onion soup mix will infuse and produce a delicious sauce that goes great with the chicken drumsticks.
The main star of this dish is the French onion soup mix so make sure you buy a quality brand if you want the best results.
As you can imagine, rice goes amazing with these chicken drumsticks. I recommend cooking the rice separately for the best results.
There are plenty of other sides that go great with chicken. For example, a nice green salad, oven baked chips, or even some mashed sweet potato will go well with this dish.
Any leftovers can be kept in the fridge for a few days. I recommend shredding the leftover chicken and using it in another dish. The shredded chicken will be great in something like a bread roll, tacos or even as a pizza topping.
The video below will take you through all the steps to making this delicious slow cooker chicken recipe. If you prefer a written recipe, then you can also find that below the video.
Slow Cooker French Onion Chicken Recipe
6 Hours & 15 Minutes
6 Hours & 30 Minutes
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1.5kg (3.3 lb) chicken drumsticks
- 40g (1.4 oz) French onion soup mix
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 400g (14.1 oz) diced tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp. water
- Add the onion to the slow cooker.
- Now, add the chicken drumsticks and sprinkle the French onion soup mix over the top.
- Next, add the Worcestershire Sauce, chicken stock and diced tomatoes.
- Cook on low for 6 hours.
- Gently remove the chicken from the slow cooker.
- Mix the cornstarch with the water until it is a thick paste. Stir into the slow cooker until well combined.
- Return the chicken to the slow cooker and cook on high for 15 minutes or until thickened.
- Season to taste.
- Serve & Enjoy
- You can use any cut of chicken in this delicious French onion chicken dish. I made use of chicken drumsticks, but thigh or breast will also work great.
- The cornstarch thickener although is recommended it’s not required. If you don’t add it then you will find that the liquid will be funny.
- If you're running late, then this dish will be fine if it stays cooking on low for a few more hours. The chicken may fall off the bone when you go to remove it from the slow cooker.
Much like most of the recipes that you will find on this website, you can see the nutritional information right below.
Please keep in mind that this information is just an estimate and may vary if you calculate it yourself. Also, don’t forget to add any extras such as rice onto the values below.
There are plenty of other slow cooker chicken dishes that you should try. If you want a dish like this one, then you need to try the honey soy chicken. It’s as good as it sounds and cooks to be absolutely amazing.
Another dish that you should give a try is the sweet n sticky orange chicken. It’s incredibly delicious and goes great with some freshly cooked rice.
I hope that you enjoy this slow cooker French onion chicken recipe as much as I did. If you have some feedback related to this recipe, then please don’t hesitate to leave a comment below.
Note: I use a 5.5L (6 Quart) slow cooker for all the recipes that I have on this website unless specified. If you have a smaller or larger slow cooker, then you might need to adjust the ingredients.