This delicious slow cooker chicken stroganoff is the perfect meal for feeding a crowd. It’s super easy to make, so it’s ideal for anyone with a busy lifestyle.
I recommend having this with some freshly cooked pasta. You can cook the pasta in the slow cooker or separately. I recommend cooking it separately to avoid ending up with gluggy sauce and pasta. If you’re not feeling like pasta, then there are a ton of other options such as having it by itself, with mash potato, with noodle, vegetable pasta and so much more.
Pasta always goes great with a side of crunchy garlic bread or even just some freshly baked regular bread. If you want something healthier, then a good side salad is always a good choice.
Chicken doesn’t cope with long amounts of time in the slow cooker as well as beef. If you leave it cooking for too long, it’s possible that the chicken will become overcooked and you will end up with dry, rubbery chicken.
It may look like a lot of ingredients for this recipe but it is worth it, and you get a much nicer dish without the need for canned soups. You will need to thicken it up at the end of cooking since it will be a bit on the runny side, this easily achieved using a cornstarch and water mix.
If you want to see how to do this recipe, then be sure to check out the video below. It will take you through all the steps to making this delicious stroganoff.
Slow Cooker Chicken Stroganoff Recipe
6 Hours & 20 Minutes
- 500g (1 lb) chicken thigh, cut into cubes
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tsp. garlic, crushed
- 500g (1 lb.) mushrooms, sliced
- 1 Tbsp. sweet paprika
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 4 Tbsp. sour cream
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- Salt & Pepper
- In a slow cooker, add the chicken, paprika, onion, garlic, mushrooms, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce and the chicken stock.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- Lastly, combine the sour cream and the cornstarch and mix in. Allow to cook for a further 15 minutes.
- Season with salt & pepper.
- Serve & Enjoy
- Chicken breast can be used instead of thigh. Both will work just fine it just comes down to personal preference.
- If you’re going to cook the pasta in the slow cooker then do not add the cornstarch as the starch from the pasta will thicken the sauce up more than enough.
- You’re able to add some green vegetables if you wish to do so, just make sure this is done towards the end of cooking since most greens will only need 15-30 minutes of cooking.
If you need to know the nutritional information for this dish, then you can find it right below. It’s perfect if you're looking to keep track of what you're eating exactly. You will need to keep in mind that this doesn’t take into consideration the pasta you’re having with the chicken stroganoff sauce.
This information is only an estimate but should be accurate enough to determine if this dish is ok for you to eat.
If you’re not feeling like chicken, then the creamy beef stroganoff is the perfect alternative to this dish. It’s very similar to this dish but instead has amazing tender pieces of beef at the end of cooking.
I hope that you enjoy this slow cooker chicken stroganoff recipe and that you don’t run into any issues while making it. If you have a variation, tips, improvements, or anything else, then please don’t hesitate to leave a comment below.
Note: I use a 5.5L (6 Quart) slow cooker for all the recipes that I have on this website unless specified. If you have a smaller or larger slow cooker, then you might need to adjust the ingredients.