This slow cooker chocolate lava cake is an incredibly decadent dessert that is perfect for anyone looking to spoil themselves with a bit of a treat.
This cake goes amazing with some ice-cream but is perfect just by itself. The rich, gooey chocolate sauce that it produces is more than enough to thoroughly enjoy this tasty slow cooker dessert.
A lot of similar recipes for a lava cake in the slow cooker makes use of packet mixes. For those who don’t keep a ton of packet mixes lying around then this recipe is perfect for you as we will be making the cake from scratch. The best thing about making it from scratch is that you know what’s gone into it.
Make sure you keep the leftovers as they will reheat well thanks to the delicious sauce that helps keeps it nice and moist. I always enjoy having the leftovers for breakfast the next day if there is any.
If you want to see a video on how to make this delicious chocolate lava cake, then be sure to check the one below. It will take you through all the steps to making this delicious recipe. If you love it, then be sure to subscribe, so you’re kept up to date on more slow cooker recipes.
Slow Cooker Chocolate Lava Cake Recipe
4 Hours & 20 Minutes
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
Chocolate “Lava” Sauce
- 1 cup brown Sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 cups boiling water
- Lightly grease the slow cooker with butter or oil.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, caster sugar, baking powder, cocoa powder, and salt.
- Make a well in the middle and pour in the melted butter, vanilla and milk.
- Stir until well combined.
- Pour into the slow cooker.
- In another bowl, combine the brown sugar and cocoa powder. Sprinkle this over the cake mixture.
- Gently pour the boiling water over the top.
- Place the lid on and cook on low for 3-4 hours or until the cake is cooked.
- Serve & Enjoy
- If you want to make this even richer in chocolate, then try adding about 1 cup of chocolate chips to the pudding mix. You will get gooey bits of chocolate in the pudding as well as that delicious chocolate sauce.
- Pouring the boiling water onto the back of a spoon can help prevent the water from digging up your cake mix in step seven.
If you’re curious about the impact that this chocolate lava cake might have on your diet, then you can find all the nutritional information you need below. Keep in mind this information estimated any may vary slightly but should still give you a good idea of what you’re eating.
It’s also important to note that this doesn’t include any extras such as ice cream or chocolate chips that you may end up having.
This cake is essentially a gooey self-saucing chocolate pudding that you’re also able to do in the oven. The result mimics what you would expect of a lava cake but done entirely in the slow cooker.
If you’re feeling like chocolate but not too interested in this dessert, then the amazingly rich slow cooker brownies might interest you. It’s a delicious slice that you can eat for dessert or keep in the fridge for later.
I hope this slow cooker chocolate lava cake cooks up for you as well as it did for me. If you have any tips, variations or anything else that you would love to share, then please don’t hesitate to leave a comment below.
I use a 5.5L/6 Quart slow cooker for all the recipes that I have on this website unless specified. If you have a smaller or larger slow cooker then you might need to adjust the ingredients.
Get all our super delicious slow cooker recipes in our quality slow cooker cookbook.