This delicious slow cooker gumbo is perfect for anyone who loves a tasty stew. It requires a little bit of prep work but is worth it as the result is so delicious.
For this delicious slow cooker recipe I will be using chicken and chorizo as the main ingredients however if you love prawns, then you can add these as well (See cooking tips).
Gumbo often contains okra but it can be hard to find in Australia, so in this recipe, I have left it out and opted for a more traditional roux. If you want to add okra, then be sure to check out the cooking tips for more information.
Depending on how long you fry the roux off will determine the thickness of the gumbo. If the roux is really dark, then it will be thin, and a light roux will result in a much thicker liquid. Change this depending on what you would prefer. If you still find it too thin at the end then you might need to thicken it up with cornstarch.
The process of making gumbo varies among people as everyone has their way of cooking it. If you have your way that you would like to share, then please be sure to leave a comment at the bottom of this page.
If you love seeing how to do things visually, then the video above will take you through everything there is to know. If you love the video, then you can stay up to date on all my latest videos over on YouTube.
Slow Cooker Gumbo Recipe
8 Hours & 20 Minutes
8 Hours & 35 Minutes
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. plain flour
- 2 chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 chorizo sausages, sliced
- 1 onion, cut into chunks
- 2 tsp. garlic, crushed
- 2 celery sticks, roughly chopped
- 2 red or green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tsp. cajun seasoning
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 2 fresh or dried Bay leaves
- 2 cups chicken stock
- In a frypan, fry off the chorizo and chicken until slightly browned. Transfer to a slow cooker leaving the excess oil in the frypan.
- In the same frypan, add the butter and once melted, add the plain flour. Cook this until it starts to go a dark brown color.
- Stir in the chicken stock and simmer for 5 minutes.
- In the slow cooker, add the onion, garlic, celery, red bell pepper, Cajun seasoning, thyme and the liquid.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- Serve & Enjoy
- If you want to add shrimp or prawns, then these will need to go at the very end. Add these when you only have about fifteen minutes left. Personally, I would add about one to two cups depending on how much you like them.
- Supposing you’re a fan of okra, then you can add this to the slow cooker. I would add about sixteen ounces of sliced okra and add at the same time as the rest of the vegetables.
If you’re curious about the nutritional information for this tasty gumbo, then you can find everything you need below. Keep in mind this information is estimated but should be good enough to give you a good idea of what to expect from this delicious dish.
If you love a good stew then you should also check out the hearty beef goulash, it has tender pieces of beef in a rich sauce. It’s incredible and well worth checking out.
I hope that this slow cooker gumbo comes out to be just as delicious for you as it did for me. If you have any feedback, tips or anything else that you would like to share, then please don’t hesitate to leave a comment below.
I use a 5.5L/6 Quart slow cooker for all the recipes that I have on this website unless specified. If you have a smaller or larger slow cooker then you might need to adjust the ingredients.
Get all our super delicious slow cooker recipes in our quality slow cooker cookbook.