Back to Recipe Print Recipe
Slow Cooker Corned Beef Recipe
- Prep time: 10 Minutes
- Cook time: 8 Hours
- Total time: 8 Hours & 10 Minutes
- Serves: 6
- 1.5 kg (3.3 lb) silverside (bottom round)
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 carrot, roughly chopped
- 10 peppercorns
- 6 cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup malt vinegar
- Enough water to cover
- Place the onion, carrot, peppercorns, cloves, bay leaves and the brown sugar into the slow cooker.
- Add the silverside/bottom round on top of the onions and carrots.
- Add the malt vinegar and fill with water until you completely cover the silverside.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Serve & Enjoy
- To make this recipe gluten-free, replace the malt vinegar with apple cider vinegar or something similar.
- While you can cook vegetables in the poaching liquid, I wouldn’t recommend it. The vegetables will come out very soft and may have a bit of a vinegar taste to them. You’re better off cooking some sides in the oven or another slow cooker.
- If you have a smaller slow cooker or piece of meat, then you may need to use less fluid. If this is the case, you may want to reduce the amount of vinegar by half.
- Silverside is typically affordable, making it a great for when you’re running low on money.
- Allowing the meat to cool will help stop the meat from falling apart if you’re trying to get thin slices.
- Beef stock can be used instead of water, but I find that water works just fine.
- The carrot and onion can be left out, but they do help add flavor to the overall dish. It’s entirely up to you if you want to eat these at the end or just merely discard.
Did you make this recipe?
We want to see! Tag @slowcookingperfected
on Instagram or use the hashtag #slowcookingperfected
so we can find you!