Back to Recipe Print Recipe Back to Recipe Print Recipe
Slow Cooker Tomato Relish Recipe
- Prep time 15 Minutes
- Cook time: 12 Hours & 30 Minutes
- Total time 12 Hours & 45 Minutes
- Serves 60
- 2kg (4.4 lb) tomatoes, chopped
- 2 green apples, peeled, chopped
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 Tbsp garlic, minced
- ½ cup malt vinegar
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 500g (1.1 lb) brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp mustard powder
- 1 Tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp whole black peppercorns
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp water
- Add all the ingredients into a slow cooker except for the cornstarch and water.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- For the next 4 hours, set the slow cooker to high and leave the lid slightly askew to allow the liquid to reduce.
- The liquid should be reduced after 4 hours. To thicken it slightly, mix the cornstarch with water to form a paste. Mix the cornstarch paste into the slow cooker.
- Cook for 15 more minutes or until thickened.
- Allow to cool before storing in sterile glass jars or something similar.
- Some raisins can be added to the chutney. I recommend adding 150g (5.3 oz) at the same time as all the other ingredients.
- If you don’t like even the tiniest bit of heat in your food, then I recommend dropping the cayenne pepper and the black peppercorns. Replace the peppercorns for a bit of ground pepper.
- Leaving out the cornstarch will leave the chutney a bit runny, so I recommend that you do add it.
- Any type of apple will do just fine, but for the best results, I recommend a green variety such as granny smith.
- You can leave the tomato skins on, or you can remove them. Removing the skins involves a fair bit of work but will leave you with skinless tomato chutney. To remove the skins, cut a cross at the top of the tomatoes and blanch in boiling water. Immediately place in some ice-cold water, and the skins should peel off easily.
Did you make this recipe?
We want to see! Tag @slowcookingperfected
on Instagram or use the hashtag #slowcookingperfected
so we can find you!