Back to Recipe Print Recipe Back to Recipe Print Recipe
Slow Cooker Swiss Steak Recipe
- Prep time 30 Minutes
- Cook time: 8 Hours & 15 Minutes
- Total time 8 Hours & 45 Minutes
- Serves 6
- 1kg (2.2 lb) chuck steak
- ½ cup plain flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper, ground
- ½ cup red wine
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tsp garlic
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 400g (14 oz) crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup beef stock
If you want to make this recipe gluten-free, then use gluten-free plain flour and use Worcestershire sauce.
- Tenderize each piece of steak by using a meat tenderizer.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Lightly coat the steaks in the flour.
- In a frypan over high heat, add 1 Tbsp of oil. Once hot, add the steaks and cook each side for couple of minutes. Place steaks to the side.
- In the same frypan, add the red wine and deglaze the pan.
- Transfer the red wine to the slow cooker and add the onion, garlic, celery, carrot, oregano, Worcestershire sauce, crushed tomatoes and beef stock. Gently stir until combined.
- Add the steaks and cover with the sauce.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or until the meat is tender.
- Serve & Enjoy
- The crushed tomatoes can be swapped for fresh tomatoes.
- You may need to thicken the sauce further with some cornstarch and water. Simply mix one tablespoon of water with one tablespoon of cornstarch and mix into the sauce.
- Mushrooms are an excellent addition to the sauce if you feel like having them. Feel free to add other vegetables as well.
- Any type of beef steak will work fine for this recipe. I recommend using a tougher cut of meat since we will be slow cooking it for a long time. It will cook to tender and delicious.
- Browning the steaks, but you're able to skip the step. I would still coat them in the flour as this helps thicken the sauce.
Did you make this recipe?
We want to see! Tag @slowcookingperfected
on Instagram or use the hashtag #slowcookingperfected
so we can find you!