Back to Recipe Print Recipe
Slow Cooker Split Pea and Ham Soup Recipe
- Prep time: 20 Minutes
- Cook time: 9 Hours
- Total time: 9 Hours & 20 Minutes
- Serves: 8
- 600 g (1.3 lb) ham hock
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tsp garlic, crushed
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 cups green split peas
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 Tbsp sherry
- 1 l (1.1 qt) water
- 1 l (1.1 qt) chicken stock
- Add all the ingredients into a slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Remove the ham hock and put it to the side. Discard, the bay leaf.
- Remove the skin from the ham and shred the meat. Discard the skin, fat, and bone.
- Blend until smooth by using a food processor or stick blender.
- Add the shredded meat into the soup.
- Cook on low for 1 hour or until it's nice and hot.
- Season to taste.
- Serve & Enjoy.
- The sherry isn’t essential but it does help add a little bit more depth to the soup.
- Skim the scum that forms on top of the liquid for a cleaner soup. If you don’t have the time, then you can leave it.
- You can make this soup vegetarian by leaving the ham hock out and replacing the chicken stock with vegetable stock. You may need to heavily season the dish to get more flavor. Of course, this means it will just be split pea soup.
- I made use of green split peas, but you can use any variety. Choose the variation that you love the most or go with the green type.
- The ham hock I used was raw, but you can use a smoked ham hock instead. Both are excellent and will add different flavors to your soup.
Did you make this recipe?
We want to see! Tag @slowcookingperfected
on Instagram or use the hashtag #slowcookingperfected
so we can find you!